help steve thread ( plenty of questions )

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
ok i am currently saving money for a new pc and just about picked out all the parts for it then my brain went click (painful) and i thought what if so i looked and looked and looked again at everything

now i came up with a few questions mainley about gpu's, cpu's and ram

how dose sli and crossfire work, i know its 2 gpu's in 1 pc but how dose it work, as much info as pos would be great

what gpu's work with sli and crossfire

what would be a good mobo that can do either sli or crossfire with a AM2 socket and good ram slots (like supports 8gb ram)

i would like to know as much info as ever on dual and quod cores specially seen AMD are makeing a quod core. as much as means everything i know they run multitask on the pc but how fast, each chip ect ect ect

if a mobo says it can take 16 gb of ram but only has 4 slots to do so where can i get ram that size to max it out

is the OCZ ram any good

there will probably be mor questions later so thank you first off

ok i am currently saving money for a new pc and just about picked out all the parts for it then my brain went click (painful) and i thought what if so i looked and looked and looked again at everything

now i came up with a few questions mainley about gpu's, cpu's and ram

how dose sli and crossfire work, i know its 2 gpu's in 1 pc but how dose it work, as much info as pos would be great
ATI CrossFire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scalable Link Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Two GPUs split the video and each processes half. Supposily reduced CPU stress and GPU stress. But most gaming cards, 8800 series, can be better than SLI configurations.

what gpu's work with sli and crossfire
Cards labeled as compatible, also the board needs to be compatiable.

what would be a good mobo that can do either sli or crossfire with a AM2 socket and good ram slots (like supports 8gb ram)
8gb of ram is HIGHLY UNNECESSARY. 2gb is well more than adequate.

i would like to know as much info as ever on dual and quod cores specially seen AMD are makeing a quod core. as much as means everything i know they run multitask on the pc but how fast, each chip ect ect ect
Dual cores and quad cores are what most people want todays. If you are not "hard-on" an AMD build, you might consider an Intel Duo or Quad core build.

if a mobo says it can take 16 gb of ram but only has 4 slots to do so where can i get ram that size to max it out
Which motherboard? Are you looking at server motherboards? More ram=/=more game performance

is the OCZ ram any good
there will probably be mor questions later so thank you first off
Yes, and no. OCZ is a great gaming brand. But there are other cheaper brands, like Crucial, gskills, geil, or Corsair.

thanks

i am more of a AMD fan, thats all i have had in my pc's up to now and not had a problem with them so its all good

and you sumed me up in on with the memory OVER THE TOP

thanks

i am more of a AMD fan, thats all i have had in my pc's up to now and not had a problem with them so its all good

and you sumed me up in on with the memory OVER THE TOP

If you only get 2GB of RAM, keep room to upgrade.

Hellgate London recommends 3GB...

With Windows Vista you currently only should use 4gig even thoug it supports up to 16 (supposedly). Friends that have used more than 4gig have told me that its highly unstable in the X64 environment. Not only that, youd need alot of cash to afford 4 2gig sticks.

Also, quad cores arent really neccesary but if you can afford 8gig of that RAM then i suppose by all means go for it.

SLI/X-Fire is extremely overrated. Like has been said, you can get a high end card for the price of 2 mid range cards and it will out do them. BUT if like i said before, if you can afford it 2 8800ultras in SLI is amazing.

Hellgate London recommends 3GB...
I dont see why, the game (no offesne to anybody) sucks. It looks arcadish and dosent look on par with the other demos coming out.

Amount of RAM used depends on your OS.

32bit Windows Vista only really utilizes up to 3 gigs of RAM for most applications, so having 4 or more gigs with 32bit vista is really a waste to me. This is why you see guys like HP and Dell and crap selling their higher-end computers with the 3gb option of RAM with 32bit vista.

I was talking X64 myself, but the reason the corporate flakes offer 3gig is so they can still get SOME performance withh all the BS they put in the background with Vista as an OS. 3gig is doing me wonders in XP though. Its so smooth and nice.

ok 4gb of ram is good nothing over the top but still get a nice amount there

Got a quad core question again

the intel Q6600 says it runs at 2.4ghz is that per chip or is that split, is it the same with the dual cores

Got a quad core question again

the intel Q6600 says it runs at 2.4ghz is that per chip or is that split, is it the same with the dual cores

Basically, a Q6600 is two E6600s put together, on the same die.

It's 2.4GHz per core. But not combined. So it wouldn't be running at 9.6GHz. It's just simply four cores, at 2.4GHz each.

Basically, a Q6600 is two E6600s put together, on the same die.

It's 2.4GHz per core. But not combined. So it wouldn't be running at 9.6GHz. It's just simply four cores, at 2.4GHz each.

ok thank you, there is still more questions comming to so thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom