Peltier over tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
ok, I've been doing ALOT of research, and as you guys have figured out, I am shooting for the best. I've come to realization (but it looked so cool!!!) that the Kingwin Gladiator isn't as good as I wanted it to be. so I'm looking... Peltier cooling systems seem to have the lowest temps according to alot of reviews, but then there is more that say that the tuniq or the thermalright are better than peltier. I'm kinda confused. also, anyone have any ideas about phase change? I don't really want to go water cooling, so it's one of the two air choices, or the phase change. I haven't done much research on the phase change units however. thanks for the help!

peatier is rubbish IMO not worth the extra cost it uses Thermo electric properties to cool the cpu and transfer the heat to a standard air heatsink usually. You have the potential to lose 1-3 degrees more C for quite a large increase in cost.

Watercooling is middle of the road with £100-200 cost range and is worthwhile but can only cool to the ambient air temperature no lower.

Phase change is the use of latent heat to cool the cpu. It is the same process as used in a freezer with a compressor compressing a liquid which is then vaporised on the cpu plate extracting the heat. It is costly even the budget solutions are £300-400 but you can go below ambient temperature, the average PCC will get a C2D E6600 cpu to -10C at stock cpu speeds.

Phase change extreme is using liquid nitrogen to cool the cpu to -271C and this is how professional OC get extreme speeds as with those temps the speed of the chip is almost limitless

Peltier is also going to be a lot more expensive when it comes to eletricity costs. Just pick up the thermalright ultra extreme with a good fan and you wont have any issues.

1-2 degrees with peltier? You must be joking. Peltier devices can chill a cpu to sub ambient temps, with enough power to sub freezing. Don't knock the power of thermoelectric technology.

Phase change extreme is using liquid nitrogen to cool the cpu to -271C and this is how professional OC get extreme speeds as with those temps the speed of the chip is almost limitless

Thats just called Ln2 and thats just using a machined vessel to hold the liquid nitrogen above the cpu. Theres not any phase change used...

Quazzi, the problem with peltiers is that in order to get them cold you need to cool the hot side very effectively, and the only real way to do that is to water cool it, and the only peltier chips worth using consume a ridiculous amount of power. And then when your dealing with sub ambient temps you need to protect the board from condensation using dielectric grease or a suitable alternative.

OMG -271??? isn't there such a thing as too cold? at what temps does your computer not run anymore? anyways, I don't want sub-freezing... and if that's coupled with a water cooling unit, I'm not really intersted. ok, so my curiosity has been satisfied. peltier not much better than plain old air... ok, what about an air-conditioned case? *I'm really just curious about these things, not necessarily getting any of this* with a built in air conditioner the ambient temps within the case would allow for sub-ambient temps without necessarily getting to freezing or lower. I know of only one case with that, and it's the nextherm air-conditioned case NexTherm Air Conditioned PC Case - 460W PSU - ICS-8200.. thanks for the info!!

probably absolute zero? idk i haven't AP chemistry/physics yet
i think thats around -400 C, which is the temp of one of neptunes moons

Ya, I was looking into the tec cooling.. The only peltier that will effectively cool into the sub zero temps requires 200+ watts. Talk about a energy hog.

If you want to get into sub zero temps, you want a phase change system.

Go here > Vapor Phase Change Cooling - XtremeSystems Forums
If you want to read up on how it works. There are a couple guys there that actually build systems. Then they just ship it to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom