When you need portable data storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macs and Linux wont but any Windows box that reads NTFS will.

You probably shouldn't be formatting externals with NTFS anyway. FAT32 is perfectly adequate, and can be accessed from any system, including Mac, Linux, and pre-NT Windows machines. There are also fewer issues with the drive being unrecognized by newer windows installations.

eSATA or IEEE1394b are faster than USB, but are less common on older machines. If your PC supports them (and you don't need to use it on other machines), go with eSATA, or if you can't, IEEE1394b ('firewire' for you Mac people)

I prefer a external HDD cause it is simple. Just a plug and a USB cable. Almost any PC out there will recognize it. Macs and Linux wont but any Windows box that reads NTFS will.
I don't know about Mac, but Linux can read any NTFS drive. With the NTFS-3G driver, Linux has read/write access to any NTFS drive. The new version of Ubuntu comes with that capability out of the box. And like Cunjo said, you could just format an external in a filesystem that you know will work with anything. But I agree that external is the way to go for maximum storage space.

For all of the anti-Maxtor people. I have bought many Maxtors and never had one fail. I have had a Seagate physically crash on me, though. I really think it's the luck of the draw no matter what you go with.

my maxtor still works after 2 years but that was before the company got bought by seagate and they were on par with Hitachi back then. Since they were purchased they have however declined in reliability due to seagate dumping there excess stock into maxtor and not perticularly worried if it works well or not.

Linux can read ntfs you just have to download the driver ;) ubuntu didn't always come prepared for ntfs its a recent development by them to include the support

You probably shouldn't be formatting externals with NTFS anyway. FAT32 is perfectly adequate, and can be accessed from any system, including Mac, Linux, and pre-NT Windows machines. There are also fewer issues with the drive being unrecognized by newer windows installations.

eSATA or IEEE1394b are faster than USB, but are less common on older machines. If your PC supports them (and you don't need to use it on other machines), go with eSATA, or if you can't, IEEE1394b ('firewire' for you Mac people)

FAT32 can not hold files over 1GB. I cant have that. I have several ISO images of Windows Vista among other things i keep on my External. Those are over 4GB each. I can not have FAT32 as a file system.

Haveing NTFS as my file system running, i haev not come across any issues on the 20 machines i have hooked it up to already. Mine, sisters, friends, grandparents..none of htem gave a issue. Some with Vista some with XP.

Again this is ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Yes some Linux can read/write to NTFS. Some cant. Agian this is if the users install the NTFS support. All personal preference. We all will do something different and have a different idea what shoudl be done.:eek: :eek: Shocking i know...:rolleyes:

FAT32 can not hold files over 1GB. I cant have that. I have several ISO images of Windows Vista among other things i keep on my External. Those are over 4GB each. I can not have FAT32 as a file system.

Haveing NTFS as my file system running, i haev not come across any issues on the 20 machines i have hooked it up to already. Mine, sisters, friends, grandparents..none of htem gave a issue. Some with Vista some with XP.

Again this is ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Yes some Linux can read/write to NTFS. Some cant. Agian this is if the users install the NTFS support. All personal preference. We all will do something different and have a different idea what shoudl be done.:eek: :eek: Shocking i know...:rolleyes:

Actually you're wrong. The maximum filesize on FAT32 is 4GiB minus one byte.
If you weren't keeping DVD images of bloatware, you wouldn't have that problem.

Most (all) Linux distributions I've come across require access to the Windows NTFS drivers in order to effectively mount an NTFS partition with write access, meaning it has to be a system volume, not a storage one.

Still, the filesystem has nothing to do with the drive interface, so it shouldn't matter.

How about the Iomega brand? How about Simpletech? I purhcased a Simpletech for hard disk backup. Backup on one quarter of the drive. Use the rest for data storage. Other than Maxator what other brand names do I need to avoid?

How about the Iomega brand? How about Simpletech? I purhcased a Simpletech for hard disk backup. Backup on one quarter of the drive. Use the rest for data storage. Other than Maxator what other brand names do I need to avoid?

I wasn't aware that Iomega still made drives. I've never heard of Simpletech, and suspect it's just rebranded samsung/WD/hitashi/toshiba. If not, you're probably safer with a more reputable namebrand.

Maxtor's the only real turd drive I know of.

What is the main difference between an HDD that was made for transport and one made for backup functions?

Actually you're wrong. The maximum filesize on FAT32 is 4GiB minus one byte.
If you weren't keeping DVD images of bloatware, you wouldn't have that problem.

Most (all) Linux distributions I've come across require access to the Windows NTFS drivers in order to effectively mount an NTFS partition with write access, meaning it has to be a system volume, not a storage one.

Still, the filesystem has nothing to do with the drive interface, so it shouldn't matter.
Images of bloatware. Just cause you cant figure out how to use it doesnt make it bloatware. There are Linux Distro's that large as well. Gee how about operSUSE 10.3? That DVD ISO is 4.3GB.:eek::eek:

Is that bloatware as well?? Just cause YOU can get by with a insecure file system like FAT32 doesnt mean teh rest of us like our file kept on the more insecure file system EVER created. So continue on your way young one.

Not all Linux Distros mount the NTFS file system by DEFAULT. Most of them you have to get a program that will allow for the read write of them. So yet again...mocve along. Till you have tried EVER SINGLE LINUX DISTRO shut up. Just cause Ubuntu does doesnt mean they all do. **** PCLinuxOS didnt recognize my NTFS....hmm guess you forgot to try that one.

Like i have said 3 times already it is all freaking personal preference. I keep DVD's ISO's on my external as backup of my regular DVD's/ Is that bloatware? Jsut cause you THINK of every excuse not to use NTFS doesnt mean jack. NTFS is more secure than FAT32 and therefor should be used over FAT32 unless you like you data out there wide open for everyone.

Now move along and quit bothering me.:p

What is the main difference between an HDD that was made for transport and one made for backup functions?

Nothing I have no idea what your talking about we have answered your question perhaps you should come to terms with what you want before asking the question.

Laptop drives are known to be slightly more durable due to them having a mobile life but as seen in many car pcs it doesn't really matter. Car pcs are a perfect example as the hdd is subjected to not only th usual bumps and scrapes but also constant vibrations that have a surprising amount of pressure on the case.

Give us a budget and a usage and we will tell you what hdd+enclosure to get simple as

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom