crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugabooz

In Runtime
I was overclocking yesterday, and was try to get 3.6 ghz stable, but I couldnt get it, it kept crashing. I tryed giving the ram and cpu more voltage. But it was still unstable, so i took out the battery to reset everything back to normal. When i put the battery back in everything was normal, but i kept getting crashes when i played games or after a certain amount of time. Could i have permanetly damaged something by raising the voltages. I have raised the cpu voltage many times before with no problems, but yesterday was the first time i raised the ram voltage. Thanks

How far did you raise your voltage? If you went pass 1.6 then something might have went wrong. The first thing you should have done if it wasn't unstable was to lower the FSB by increments of 5-10. Then run Orthos and see if it's stable. Going higher on the FSB and keep raising the voltage will cause damage to components.

well my ram voltage had the option for auto 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 and 2.1
I has it at 1.9 at the highest. So i my ram basically garbage now? Good thing it was value ram.

Yea, 1.9 for DDR2 should be more then more. Alot of DDR2 can be run at 2.1 and do just fine. I don't think that's it.

It could be worth is to try a different stick(s) of RAM.

Ill see if my brothers computer has ddr2 ram that i can borrow for a few hours. What would it most likley be if not the ram? CPU? Is there any kind of test i can do that will tell me whats failing.

I purchased some DDR2 ram and gave it a try, but my computer still crashes about 2 minutes in, or when i load up something big like a game. It is most likley the CPU or the Montherboard that is the problem? Is there anyway to check?

i'm leaning towards its a bit of both.. because the p5n-sli isn't much of an overclocker... and the Pentium D's dispense a lot of heat... making overclocking a bit difficult.. i mean with my P4.. i've only gotten to 113FSB x 16.. and anything past that... and its unstable.. so i said.. why bother.. and went to 1.6ghz..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom