HELP with 250g hd, only getting 127g

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogrestud

Beta member
Can some one please help me with my upgraded puter. Recently, I have upgraded to a 1.7ghz tower puter with Windows XP PRO. I noticed that I couldn't change the desktop to 1024 X 768 which I wanted. Unfortunately, I assumed that there was a software issue and attempted to reformat my hd. It wasn't the software I had issues with it was the video card.

After realizing that I had a junk video card in my puter, I installed a much better one.

Unfortunately, it was too late and i had reformatted my hd and now it only sees 127g of my 250g hd.

I don't know if any thing changed in my BIOS on that puter after installed the other video card. I changed it back to the original video card with the same results. Only getting 127g of my 250g hd.

Hoping someone can please help me with my headach....

Ogrestud.

Its not your bios, its because anything prior to windows XP sp2 will only see 127gb. You need to make a 30ish gb partition, install windows on it, then update past SP2 and just have the machine detect the other 220gb of the hard drive.

Its not your bios, its because anything prior to windows XP sp2 will only see 127gb. You need to make a 30ish gb partition, install windows on it, then update past SP2 and just have the machine detect the other 220gb of the hard drive.
That is not true. You can use Windows 2000 with SP2 or later with a drive larger than 127GB. So it isnt just limited to XP SP2.

Ya but who uses windows 2000 at this point. I didnt even consider it as an option to mention.

i still use 2000... my friend used his 320gb HD on it... while he's "obtaining" Vista...

Actually Windows 2000 is still widely used. There are plenty of businesses out there that have not updated to XP or Server 2003 and still use 2000.

Ya we still have quite a few machines sitting around here with 2000. Just replaced around 140 or so though with new xp machines. But as far as enthusiasts i cant see anyone using 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom