£300 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberg

Baseband Member
Someone i know needs a simple £300 ($600) (give or take a bit) computer that is also useful for games. (Not the newest games, but it would be good if it could handle games like Halo, Doom 3, the Sims 2 etc well). He already has a monitor.

I was thinking a Geforce 7600 for the graphics card as that wasn't too bad when i used to have one of them. But i don't know exactly which one is good.

Kingston 2GB DDR2 Memory - Cheap at Ebuyer! I own this RAM and i know it's decent and cheap.

What would be best for processor and motherboard? I know little about what motherboards are good. The hard disk and dvd drive etc aren't too much of a worry as it would be best just to get the cheaper ones for them.

Any ideas or help?

Thanks a lot! That was a superb and fast reply. I will show him this and see what he thinks. I avoided AMD and ATI as i've never used them so don't know what the difference is.

Thanks again :)

What card is the x1950gt equal to compared to Nvidia cards?

Ok that should be just fine then! Just a last question, will that processor be able to overclock at all or will it be more or less stuck on 1.9ghz? It doesn't matter if it can't, as it seems good for the price!

I would reccomend an aftermarket HSF if overclocking. Such as the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. It should be able to hit 2.3GHz.

Wait, though. I will make an Intel build for you, that will be ultra overclockable.

It doesn't need to be ultra overclockable, we're really just looking for best value for money.

Thanks again! You're providing great help.

Can i ask what the difference between the processor you recommended (e2180) and the e6320 is? I got the e6320 as it was recommended to me but i notice the one you recommended has a faster speed and is half the price?

Also could you check out my other post in the hardware forum?

Thanks!

Only 1MB level 2 cache. The e2180 has M0 stepping, meaning that its an excellent overclocker. If you were willing to spend more, a C2D with more cache would actually make a nice performance boost in Games, though. But for the price its a steal and it goes nicely with the X1950GT in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom