PCI Fan card blows wrong direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewser

In Runtime
Picked up one of these Vantec Spectrum UV Fan Cards for the sake of utilizing one of the 3 empty pci slots I had....

spectrum4.jpg

However, the dang thing fit my mobo very... strangely. The fan card can only fit in one way with its plastic pci grooves, but the fan speed controls and logos are all inverted. I put it in a couple slots below my video card (my card doesn't even really need to be cooled, I just felt like putting something in my computer for the time being) and now all it is accomplishing is sucking air in from below the card and shooting it at the bottom of my case. At least it is moving a lot of air around the case on the bottom, but now I have to move my video card to the lower PCI-E slot and move the fan card to a PCI slot above it so that it can shoot the air down onto.

Just thought I'd share this little experience with you.

On the plus side, it looks really cool, blows a lot of air, and is fairly quiet to me. Good way to fill a lonely PCI slot for under $20.

Pretty cool. I might get one if its really that silent. The fan I have now makes too much noise.

Yea, it seems to be a cool little product. I mean, you can still hear it, it isn't completely silent, but I have it set all the way to the lowest speed and it doesn't bother me at all. It's not any louder than any other fan I have used in a computer, and for the amount of air it seems to move it is pretty quiet.

Also, they have built in blue LED's that are very bright and vivid. I'm not really a fan of lighting up my computer, but this one actually looks pretty cool.

Doing that wouldn't make a difference because it still needs to fit into the PCI grooves that you can see in the picture on the bottom of the unit, but thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of doing that! :)

why does it need to fit in the grooves surely it is stable enough with just the bracket it is just a fan. I see that the tongue is obviously designed to fit in a pci bracket but as you said it blows the wrong way so the only solution I can see is to either individually swao the fans around or undo two screws :). At least try it and see if it is stable enough without the tabs sticking in

I've heard /seen reviews about this pci fan. I'm guessing the intent was to pull hot air away from the video card. Have you seen any changes in your GPU temps, does the pulling of hot air reduce the temps of the GPU?

Molex connectors can only go in one way (at least I am pretty sure) so I am pretty sure I didn't switch the voltages by plugging it in wrong... However, now I am worried so I am going to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom