I took the Vista plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
Well, out of some strange idea. I got myself a copy of Vista Home Premium. Now right out of the gate I had problems. I could not for the help of anything get my 3rd 100gig partition on my hard to format and become usable. Ended up having to kill my second one and combine the two.

Next problem was and still is getting my onboard network adapter to work. The board is a Abit KN8 SLI, and the drivers on the disc will not work, neither will any of them on Abit's website. So right now I am just running off of a USB wireless adapter. I thought of getting a PCI card, but my second PCI slot is dead.

I installed Company Of heroes last night. Now when I run the game there is INSANE artifacting everywhere. Hopeing one of the 33 updates that are downloading will fix some of this.

Anyone have a suggestions for this here Vista "newb" :D

I'll be picking up a copy of home premium on wednesday myself. Had to wait for the credit card billing cycle. I figure i'll pick up 2 copies while microcenter has them on sale and just not register it. Gonna set it up in dual boot with xp incase i have problems. Sounds like we should start a project vista thread :p

I had a hard time getting my network to work too. Vista has horrible options for wired network, there's no place to configure anything. There's no setup like in XP, it's hit or miss.

As for the artifacts, it's probably driver related.

Some of those updates actually help, they have stuff to make your RAM work better and such. I didn't bother download them, as I can't be bothered. I'm going back to XP soon anyway, because Vista is ****ing me off for gaming.

Actually Vista has MORE network driver than XP. Vista also has a completely redone netowrking interface. Which is more secure and better than XP's.

can anyone recommend what I should do about the Video drivers? I am using Nvidia latest Vista forceware. And I just tried to run 3dmark, same problem. Horrible artifacting.

I will double check the drivers, but I don't think they are BETA. The price of ddr400 ram doesn't make me want to dump it into my aging system. :(

Now my USB wireless stick isn't working.

I plug it in, it recongnizes it and then says: wireless networks are availble.

I connect to my router and then it just disconnects itself and acts like the wireless device isn't even plugged in. I am about done with Vista on the second day....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom