builbing computer, bought wrong hdd, new mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sona1111

Beta member
i was working on building the 1,400 PC from pc gamers guide, but i bought a PATA hard Drive insted of a SATA.i didnt realize this would be a problem until i sawthat the mobo i was planning to get, the "EVGA nforce 680i SLI" only had one PATA port on it (for the optical drives). i dont want to spend money for a while on getting a sata hard drive. does anyone have a suggestion on another motherboard that is like this one, but has a second PATA port? (for HDD)

currently bought parts/planning to get parts:

Antec nine houdread (ATX standard form factor needed)
2 dual channel sticks of corsair 512mb each memory (DDR2)
1 cd-rm drive (hp)
1 dvd-rom drive
1 3'1/2 inch and 5'1/4 inch combo floppy drive (mobo should have one floppy port)
BFG tech 650W power supply (and power converter cable for one molex and one 4 pin to one 8 pin)
1 maxtor diamondmax 10 250gb PATA HDD
1 BFG tech geforce 8800 GTS 640MB video card
1 Intel core 2 duo e6300

ive noticed that the evga mobo that i was going to get had 3 PCIe x16 connectors, for what reason i dont know. i would only like 2, (for possible SLI) and the memory slots must be DDR2 with dual channel.

please tell me what you think!!

You can get a PCI IDE controller card. Or sell the IDE hard drive, and buy an SATA.

wow, thanks man, must be nothing for you, but im to newb to know thoes cards existed, and they sell for like 10 bucks on ebay too, sweet!

Get 2gb of ram instead of 1.
Get a combo drive unless you have already bought the optical drives?
I don't understand what you mean by the floppy drives...
Get a 420hx corsair its modular so better wire management and reliable, the 600W is overkill for that system.
You shouldn't of gone maxtor but nvm its your first build so you can have a couple of mistakes
Don't get the 640mb version of the 8800gts get the 320 its cheaper and only 1-3 fps slower.
The motherboard is real overkill for that system and very expensive if memory serves for what it is.
Get an E2180 and overclock it to 3.2ghz easily done and won't damage yopur computer at all
Get a cpu cooler the stock ones are rubbish

BTW SLI is pointless just stick with singe card unless going for dual 8800ultras and a 30" screen

Ya, I would also vote on getting 2gb of ram..

Also on the 320mb version of the 8800gts.

The 680i is a good board.. if you wanted to ever go SLI it has the capabilities.

At this point i dont even think its possible to get a board with more than 1 ide connection. As far as pci > ide cards go, they're going to be SLOW. Cant you just return the hard drive for a sata of equal value?
+1 on the 2gb and gts 320 camp. Although you might want to hold out for the GT or new ati cards.

i have an MSI 975X and it has two ide slots
was one of the main reasons i got it actually (back when i had 2 ide drives and 2 ide optical drives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom