Building new computer, $1000 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
well.. a e2180 @ 3.6-3.8ghz beats a qx6850 @ stock.. so i don't see why not...

but an 8600gt is always so underestimated... overclock that... it goes up really easily.... darn near 7950gt speeds

Well quad-core is the technology that new games will be utilizing. It's better to get that and be good for a few years than to buy a dual core and regret it. If he's that set on overclocking, guess what? A Q6600 can be overclocked very well too, especially if he get's a G0.

If worst comes to worst, I chose a card from evga, so in the event that it doesn't suffice, he can always use step-up to upgrade to the 8800 GTS 3 months and a few paychecks later.

Video cards right now are very unstable as far as whats best and whats going to be best. A q6600 is a solid buy as it will easily last 3+ years before becoming obsolete. No matter what video card he buys, he'll end up replacing it in probably less than a year. This way he can get his machine going, save money and buy a better card down the line and resell the 8600 for a small loss.

Well quad-core is the technology that new games will be utilizing. It's better to get that and be good for a few years than to buy a dual core and regret it. If he's that set on overclocking, guess what? A Q6600 can be overclocked very well too, especially if he get's a G0.

If worst comes to worst, I chose a card from evga, so in the event that it doesn't suffice, he can always use step-up to upgrade to the 8800 GTS 3 months and a few paychecks later.

well i know that..

i'm just trying to prove you wrong because you said that a Dual-Core Intel Core 2 Duo can't beat a Quad-Core... i know its sorta silly to buy a dual-core now... but i just wanted to prove my point..

well i know that..

i'm just trying to prove you wrong because you said that a Dual-Core Intel Core 2 Duo can't beat a Quad-Core... i know its sorta silly to buy a dual-core now... but i just wanted to prove my point..

I wasn't saying it was better. I said it was more futureproof, because the applications of tomorrow will be written with quad-core in mind.

I don't think it's really a big deal who's right or wrong, though. 23asd13 should decide what he thinks is best for him, whether he wants to get the e2180, overlcok it, and an 8800 gts; or a q6600 and an 8600 gt and overclock the 8600 gt and possibly the Q6600 too, is up to him. Both choices have their own strengths and weaknesses.

actually people are expecting a lot out of the Yorkfields... so some people are getting Duals and upgrading to them later on....

All i can say is good job you stuck with XP, vista is a) crap and b) hogs ram and c) lower framerates. So by buying vista your buying worse performance. But the systems these guys have reccomended seem good, i would do my own but theres no point these are perfectly good.

actually people are expecting a lot out of the Yorkfields... so some people are getting Duals and upgrading to them later on....

True, however I don't think it's a good idea to get the E2180 and then upgrade to Yorkfield next year. First of all, Yorkfield isn't going to be THAT big of a deal, wow 45nm vs 65 nm and a larger L2 cache, it's not going to be as much of an improvement as a Core 2 vs a Pentium 4 is. Plus, it would cost him more money in the long run if he bought a 90.00 CPU now and then spent another 350.00-500.00 or whatever the retail price will be for the 2.5 GHz Q9300 Yorkfield CPU, than if he got the Q6600 now, which can be overclocked just as easily as the E2180, and wait for Nehalem in 2009.

True, however I don't think it's a good idea to get the E2180 and then upgrade to Yorkfield next year. First of all, Yorkfield isn't going to be THAT big of a deal, wow 45nm vs 65 nm and a larger L2 cache, it's not going to be as much of an improvement as a Core 2 vs a Pentium 4 is. Plus, it would cost him more money in the long run if he bought a 90.00 CPU now and then spent another 350.00-500.00 or whatever the retail price will be for the 2.5 GHz Q9300 Yorkfield CPU, than if he got the Q6600 now, which can be overclocked just as easily as the E2180, and wait for Nehalem in 2009.

well.. some people want the q9450 for the loads of cache... which supposedly helps in games.. (not sure myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom