Trouble watching movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

quasar

Solid State Member
Hi again folks!

I have this problem that when I watch movies, my computer freezes. I've never had the problem with .mov files, I've had it a few times with weirdly encoded .mpg and a few times also with .avi using the DivX® video codec but it ALWAYS happen with .avi encoded with XVID or MPEG-4. It also NEVER happens with .mpg made out of .avi with TMPGEnc version 2.57.41.146.

When it crashes, the screen freezes and so does the mouse and keyboard. Most of the time, there is also a sharp "eeeeeeeeee" sound that doesn't stop until I reboot. Worth mentionning also is that the crash still happen even if the movie is just running "hidden" in the background or in the Taskbar of windows.

At first, to fix the problem I tried playing the movie on various players. then I tried re-installing all the codecs. Then I tried formatting my HD. The problem is still there. Then I began suspecting it had to do with a hardware, so I re-encoded a crashing .avi with virtualdub so that it has no sound. I also tried turning off my audio drivers. No results. Now I'm clueless. What do y'all suggest?

Thanks.

The only thing that it could possibly be is your graphics card. If u had reformated and the problem is still there... It is clearly hardware. There is a small chance that it is your memory... But that is doubtful.

Try switch graphic cards and see if the problem persists...

k-lite mega codec pack didn't helped.

My Graphic card is a GeForce2 MX-400. Reputably a good piece of hardware I believe. Do you have an idea on what could be wrong with it ?!

Other opinions are welcome too.

One thing to remember, certain movie formats played in certain players (example, WMP), wont work on the newest version of WMP. You have to use older version. An example is playing certain VCD's in WMP. Cant do it with newest version, have to get the old WMP version and the correct codecs for them or itll just say error running

GeForce2 MX-400, I'd update that, too. I use to have that card and had some problems. Its not broke, it just has problems sometimes with certain formats.

What card should I get if I don't want to run into any of these problems but don't want to pay too much either (because I don't play any games or don't do anything that REQUIRES me to have a great graphic card)

get like an ATI 9000 pro, its pretty cheap now and it is good for movies and stuff like that, and if your an nVidia person go and get like a 5200 or something those are pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom