Upgraded only GFX card, CPU causing lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FavouriteColour

Solid State Member
Just upgraded from a 7900GT to a 768MB 8800GTX but when trying to run Call of Duty 4 demo I can't run at the resolution I usually use which is 2560 x 1600, or even 1600 x 1200 without lag. Do I need to upgrade my CPU to be able to do this?

AMD Athlon 64 4400+ x2 at 2.21GHz
3GB ram

Hey FavouriteColour
Welcome-to-TF.png

Playing games at a 2560 x 1600 resolution, would require an SLI configuration. Meaning, you should get another GTX, to play games at a good framerate.

Another thing, is your CPU. It's dragging down the GTX, causing a bottleneck. So you won't be seeing the full potential of the GTX, unless you upgrade your CPU as well. Or at least overclock it.

Thanks for the welcome ;)

I just put in the 800GTX and I am getting a message on shutdown saying that it is not getting sufficient power. I have a 600W Enermax, which I thought would be enough. I'm guessing it isn't, any recommendations on what to buy?

Also on overclocking my x2 4400+, could I really get up to speeds that will allow my GTX to run at its best with standard cooling compared to buying a Q6600 quad core?

With an overclocked X2 4400+, you would reduce the bottleneck, but it's still a bottleneck compared to a Q6600, where the bottleneck wouldn't be noticeable.

A 600W Enermax should have enough power. And it's not the amount of wattage that determines the power of the PSU. It's the amperage on it's +12v rails. From the looks of it, it looks like your PSU has 40A+ on it's +12v rails. Which is more than enough for your system.

Still, with a single GTX on a 2560 x 1600 resolution, don't expect to play games at max, or even high settings. I'm referring to newer games, and some of the high end current titles.

Ok thanks, which new processer is fast enough so that there is no bottleneck so that I'm getting everything out of the GTX?

Since you already have an am2 board, you could probably just upgrade to a faster cpu or wait and get a phenom when they come out. As far as the power goes, you did make sure to plug in the extra power cables right?

When veedubfreak mentioned exptra power cables, he meant the PCIe power cables that go to the graphic card.

Since having an AM2 board, like veedub said, you can wait for the Phenom processors from AMD, that will release next month. Particularly, the quad core Phenom X4.

But as I said before, with a single GTX on a resolution of 2560 x 1600...don't expect high or max settings.

Extra power cables?? what? I have one cable plugged into the card, is there supposed to be 2 there? Oh and yeah, how much do you think the new quad core amds will be on release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom