Using My OS In A New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
I own a Dell Dimension 4600i that came with Windows XP Home SP1 OEM. Since then its been upgraded to SP2.

I plan to build a new computer (thats alredy sorted) but with my budget I cant buy Vista for it until the next month.

What if I were to put my hard drive from this 4600i that im using now in my new rig, would it work?

Cheers.

Nope. Not as your primary drive anyway. The HAL will be wrong for your new rig and it most likely won't boot. It will work as a slave though and I have heard that you can use it as the main drive if you do a repair install when you put it in the new box. I have never done this so I can't say one way or the other. It's worth a shot I guess. Worst case is it doesn't boot and you have to do a clean install.

If you plan on not using the Dell anymore, borrow or see if you can get a copy of Home XP SP1, and just use the Dell's cd key. That's what I did, from my Sony Vaio.

The reason why it wont work just installing the hard drive into the new pc is because ALL of the hardware will be different.

Thanks,

Yeah im building it myself come December. :)

Ok, so I could use my sisters XP disc which isnt an OEM with the CD key thats stuck to my 4600i case.

That would be perfect till I could get Vista.

It will work. I've done it before. You will just have to install all of the drivers for the new system. You will also have to reactivate your windows because your hardware profile will be totally different. You may possibly have to call the number and speak with a representative to reactivate.

If it doesn't end up working for you, just take the hard drive back out and put it back in your Dell. Don't uninstall your Dell drivers until you know it's going to work. It doesn't hurt anything to have unused drivers on your system.

Thanks,

Yeah im building it myself come December. :)

Ok, so I could use my sisters XP disc which isnt an OEM with the CD key thats stuck to my 4600i case.

That would be perfect till I could get Vista.
This will ONLY work if you sister has a XP Home disc. Can not use a XP Pro disc with a Home Serial.

Yes you cn use a Dell OEM disc to install but dont expect all your drivers to be there. The XP discs are catered to Dell for their systems.

The only problem you will run into is if you have activated your dell OEM (Most likely) you will have to call as OEM serials are only good for 1 activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom