The XP, Vista, & Direct X Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
I know DirectX 9 runs on XP, and DirectX 10 runs Vista.

My next question is, does DirectX 10 run on XP and DirectX 9 run on Vista. When I say "run", I mean fully supported.

In other words, I guess, If I want to upgrade to an 8 series card, which is DirectX 10 (I think?), do I have to go with Vista in order to unlock it's full DirectX 10 potential?

From what I understand XP can run DX9 only, while Vista can run DX9 and DX10.

So yeah, a DX10 capable card would need Vista in order to run DX10 games.

DX10 doesn't work on XP, and I believe DX10 is compatible w/ DX9 games (I thinks o, anyway). I know there's some games you have to get a fix that'll support/"emulate" the DX9 in DX10.

DX10 does not "run" on XP. It has been hacked to XP but does not function within gameplay. Just can run some demo's with it.

DX9 does run on Vista. I have explained it several times in other topics. Just ahve to get the DX9 runtimes or the SDK and isntall it. After that you will have no problem running anything DX9 or DX10 in Vista. Plus installing the Runtimes or SDK does not overwrite the DX10 isntall. This method is only needed from some older games like Doom 3 which require DX9 to be installed. Most newer games will recognize Vista and that it can run DX9 and not ask to install it.

If you want a 8 series card then yes. You will have to get Vista to get its full potential. Considering even with the hacks to get games like Halo 2 and later this Crysis, they will not work with DX10 on XP. So Vista will be the only way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom