My Proposed Upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Ok, I have a cpu, case and peripherals already. This is what I'm hoping to upgrade to, from whats in my sig.

Mobo: Abit IP35-E
Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

RAM: OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 4x1GB
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 400GB 7200.10RPM (x2)
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3400620AS 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120
Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

PSU: Corsair 450vx or should I bump up to the 550vx, I do plan on upgrading cpu to quad core later.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

How does all that look?

I am gonna get Ultimate 64 bit so don't say only use 2 gigs of ram.

I would go with the 550W, but otherwise it looks good. You really only need 4GB if your working with graphics/video editing, but you probably already know that.

I wouldnt worry so much on PSU- what I've read its the amperage on the 12v rails you need to up- most high end vids need a 35amp rail and if you cant support that the system will fail- there are some nice psu with 35-50 amp rails to look up (even in newegg) although some companies dont list that feature (uggh)

as for the vid card- 10ish dollars more (after rebate) if its in your range- XFX GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card - Fatal1ty Edition, FREE Lost Planet: Extreme Condition PC Game, 320MB DDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card PVT80GG1D4 at TigerDirect.com Ive heard such good things about this- it competes with the 8800 Ultra and is a tad bit faster then what you have listed- however- its up to you in the end.

vista can be a RAM hog yea.. but you can also tweak it .. so its not... most mild tweaks are about a 28% resource gain for turning off things like the printer port you may or may not use (or setting it to only use when you tell it to) and killing a few shadows and stuff like that- maybe not what you want but gamers enjoy it. Iam a weird gamer- I like my OS looking pretty (Xp bubbles and Vista blinds view and stuff) but I also like lots of performance... so tweakings my only option.

Also a little 4gb readyboost jump drive can help with your cache and be used for your "looks" in vista to free up some actual RAM for games and programs. (its not quite like RAM but its pretty close- and generally faster then normal cache space, unless you have a super fast RPM hdd)

and to the naysayers out there- Ive tested with a 1 and 4 gb readyboost flash drive- and there is a significant amount of change - just not "during gameplay" its not real RAM afterall. You will also notice less and less change with more real RAM- unless you set your computer to read your readyboost drive for the operations you want (google for tweak helps) so that the readyboost is used and not just other RAM.

Ok, I have a cpu, case and peripherals already. This is what I'm hoping to upgrade to, from whats in my sig.

Mobo: Abit IP35-E
Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

RAM: OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 4x1GB
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 400GB 7200.10RPM (x2)
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3400620AS 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120
Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

PSU: Corsair 450vx or should I bump up to the 550vx, I do plan on upgrading cpu to quad core later.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

How does all that look?

I am gonna get Ultimate 64 bit so don't say only use 2 gigs of ram.

looks great... maybe u should get 2 Crucial Ballistix's Kit since its the same thing... but a killer overclocker...

as for the Fatal1ty on par with an Ultra seems like BS to me because Ultra has more pipelines... I'd like to see this article....

but if its true.. you can always overclock it to Fatal1ty speeds... also its usually recommended you take off the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste before people start Complaining about the temperatures.. (also the normal temperature (on load) is about high 70's to low 80's so don't be horribly shocked

dude... why does that card come with a "Do Not Disturb" Sign

Anyone and their dog could make a 8800 GTS, but a 8800 GTS *with* a Do Not Disturb Sign? Now that is true greatness. I don't think I'll ever buy a computer component again without a Do Not Disturb sign.

I think your question should be: "Why don't *other* cards come with a Do Not Disturb sign?"

Anyone and their dog could make a 8800 GTS, but a 8800 GTS *with* a Do Not Disturb Sign? Now that is true greatness. I don't think I'll ever buy a computer component again without a Do Not Disturb sign.

I think your question should be: "Why don't *other* cards come with a Do Not Disturb sign?"

i think its sorta silly.. but from that link and watching that TigerTV Video... i'm sorta interested...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom