PSU+RAM issues and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeseking25

In Runtime
Hi. I am building a gaming system and I have a few issues. I just realized that the PSU I was going to get only has two 6-pin power connectors. I want to get a 8800GTX (which takes two 6-pins for EACH card) and SLI it in the future. The OCZ GameXtreme PSU i was going to buy only had two 6-pins. I want to switch to a PC and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad PSU (which has four 6-pins). Will the cables be long enough on this PSU and will it fit in my case and work with all my components? (see specs below) Why is there one 60V rail and does it make a difference? Also, I have just learned that the RAM I was going to get is only partially supported by my mobo (2 sticks wont work in dual channel but 4 will...). Anyway, I want to get Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) which is supported fully. Will this be enough for gaming on Vista or should I get 4GB? (ill be using 32-bit but I think the system will still use all 4GB, only 3GB can be used for applications tho...) Will all of these components work together with my system? Any help is appreciated.

Case: Antec 900 ATX
CPU: Q6600 (plan to oc it to 3GHz)
PSU: Silencer 750 Quad (switching from OCZ GameXtreme 700W)
Mobo: ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Vid. Card: 8800 GTX (plan to SLI in the future)
Memory: 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2@800MHz (switching from 2GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz)
HD 1: Raptor 10000RPM 150GB
HD 2: Seagate 7200RPM 320GB
DVD: Two 20x DVDRW w/lightscribe

unless you use 64bit (or it might be 86) it won't recognize + 3 gigs. so it'l be like your wasting money. and unless your doing some extremely ram intensive things then 2gigs should be enough. especially of that ram. as far as PSU's go I'm not really much of a help. either peter, or b1gapl could help out.

It's a 12V rail not a 60V rail and yes it makes a difference. The power is much more evenly distributed than it would be with a multiple 12v rail system. In a multi rail system, if only one, weaker rail is overloaded, then the PSU stops working, no matter if there are several others in the unit that are totally unstressed. This can result in the waste of a lot potential power from the unit.

so this is better then multiple rails? thats good :)

Yes, it is. Thankfully more PSU manufacturers are learning this, and are coming out with one rail designs, such as corsair, with their VX and TX lines, for example.

It is widely predicted that the official PSU standard will move back to the single rail design, like it was before the recent phase of crazily power hungry components.

that PC and Cooling Silencer 750 is a Great psu. If i wasnt getting the corsair 620 id get that. I like the modular cabling on the corsair. And mid's right only vista 64 with run 4gb ram. but even then 4gb isnt really needed for anything yet >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom