AMD 2500+ CPU
ASUS A7V600-x Motherboard
ATI RADEON 9600XT
19" Viewsonic E90 monitor
512mb PC3200 Kingston VALUERAM
ASUS 52x CD ROM
Western Digital 80gb HD
Windows 2000

This issue started last night when I was installing STEAM to play Counter Strike. I loaded the game up and as soon as I got into the server, the image on my screen froze and then my monitor shut down and went into stand by mode. I could not get it to turn back on. I rebooted and tried again. This time before shutting off, it displayed a whole bunch of colors in a random order, and then shut off. I rebooted once more. I then put in morrowind and loaded that. Again, the monitor froze showed a whole bunch of colors and went into standby mode, which i could not get it out of. The sound went off a minute later. This morning, it did the same thing with morrowind. I tried wolfenstein next, only to have it do the same thing again, buy i did get an error. The graphics card has an abilitiy to restart the VPU if something goes wrong. I got an error saying something like this: VPU isn't responding to video card driver commands.

I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, the same thing happened accept it started to happen while i was on the desktop. The monitor would just go off. I tried a few other things and ended up reformatting and reinstalling windows.

That did nothing because as I was downloading SP4, the monitor shut off. Since i wasn't in the room when it did this, I installed wolfenstein to confirm my suspiscion and the monitor froze up, only this time i did not reboot, i was able to get back to the desktop because the VPU recover feature prevented me from rebooting.

I am completly out of ideas now. I have no idea why my computer is doing this. It is brand new, except for the graphics card which has been running perfectly up to this point in my old Dell computer. I don't know whats causing these display crashes or how to fix them. I have two suspicions, either my graphics card has gone bad (which i think is unlikely) or my hardware is having issues with windows 2000. The RADEON worked fine on Windows XP.

If you have any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Calvin

I really have never had any problems with Windows 2000 and hardware incompatibilities. It could be your monitor is old(guessing) and you might need a new one. What version of DirectX do you have? What version of video drivers do you have? I would check the versions and then update if needed. What wattage is your power supply?

Don't be too quick to say the video card is not bad....I would try the video card in a different computer if you have that available. If not you may want to RMA the card or go buy another one for testing purposes at your local store so you can return it if that is not the problem.

I have the exact same motherboard, graphics card and processor as you, and I am having the exact same problem.

AMD 2500+ CPU
ASUS A7V600-x Motherboard
ATI RADEON 9600XT

Sound Blaster Live 5.1
17" NEC 1715 monitor
512mb PC3200 Crucial DDR
2 old ass optical drives
Seagate 20gb HD
Windows XP

The fact that we have these three things in common make me think that the problem is somewhere in there. I've seen other people posting on this forum with the exact same problem as well, and it seems like most of them have done their homework as far as drivers go. The only thing that seems constant with our problems are these:

Radeon 9600XT video card
Asus Mobos
Athlon Processors

I took my card out and tried it in a friend's computer who was running a radeon 8500 befoerhand, but it was on an Abit board with a P4 on it.

I remember a similar thing happened a while back when I bought a Voodoo4 gfx card and put it on the same board as an athlon processor: the voltage was incorrectly set and it would cause all games to crash a few minutes into gaming.

I'm going to venture that the problem is in the gfx card vs the mobo/proc combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom