Curious Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Recently i couldn't connect to Microsoft for updates neither could i connect to my gunz game server.

After many post and trying to figure out how come it wasn't working. I finally decide to turn on my firewall i just thought maybe if it was verified by my firewall it would work.

AND IT DID!

Thats my question, how come when turning my firewall on i could update my windows xp and access my game server.

HAve you allowed IE and your game thru the firewall to grant them access to the internet?

But the problem is that these things didn't work when the firewall was off, then when he turned the firewall on they did work.

Are you using a router by chance. Routers have built in firewalls. If so, maybe somehow your router's firewall got set to not allow anything, then when you turned on your software firewall, maybe it's made to work with the router firewall's settings and it made things right. I don't know; it's just a thought.

That wouldnt be it. The Windows Firewall is still left on for almost all firewall isntalls. Comodo asks if you wish to turn off the Windows Firewall upon install.

So by turning on the Comodo you allow traffic to and from your PC. With the Comodo firewall off there is no traffic allowed to and from your PC to the net. Comodo was balancing it and with SP2 installed Windows will detect a firewall. IT is in the security center.

So by turning off comodo windows didnt detect a firewall since its one was off, comodo was off and it blocked all traffic to and from teh net.

i see, and i had already port forwarded through my router.

Last question. Lets say i have a game that i want to access the Internet with. My firewall will ask "allow deny " i say allow. There by it allows me to play online.

Now lets say 1 month later, somethings wrong with my game so i have to uninstall it, then reinstall it. If i try and access the Internet with my firewall off, will it still allow me? I'm just thinking if the games data for allowing packets has been stored i should still be allowed to access the Internet even if i reinstall or turn the firewall off.

I'm not sure if this idea is very clear, sorry bout that

From what i understand of the Windows Security Center and firewall it wont. The reason for this is because your Windows Firewall is disabled by Comodo. There for when you have comodo off, the security center sees that there is no protection and basically disconnects the net so taht you dont get infected or worse.

I will do some more research into the SC and see if i can figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom