athlon 64 problems, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceman2105

Baseband Member
i have an Athlon 64 3000, MSI K8T Neo Motherboard, 512 PD 2700 PNY RAM, Nvidia Fx5500 256MB vid card....when i built it, it ran at 2Ghz, and 200 front side bus. i didnt feel that 200FBS was suffient (would u? lol) so i decided to Overclock. i ran it up to 2.3Ghz (oc'ed 300Mhz) and that changed my FSB to 230. seeing as my multiplyer is 10, that seems about right....well, what the heck...why am i at 230...on http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^9493,00.html that link, it says max system bus of 2000Mhz, why am i not getting that. is there something i did wrong, something i am misreading, or do i have to wait until i run on a 64 bit OS?. and if i do that sometime, will i have a problem connecting to computers that are 32 bit? how do they run tests against other computers and come up with those results?someone please help me and tell me what i need to know. Thanx a lot

"Turn back time..."

Unfortunateley, sometimes it is the OS you're using. But not nesissarilly it being 64bit, it's sometimes caused by you're OS missinterpreting it's features, (Thinking it's features are in it's own age range,) because it was not being installed AFTER you're processor.

You should consider reinstalling your OS... :cool:

the 200fsb is not REALLY the FSB

if you download CPU-z it will show your FSB at 2000mhz

the FSB runs the same frequency as your processor

i also have a 64 but it is the clawhammer model (1mb L2 cache) and i run 200"FSB" X10

there is nothing wrong

well, i have CPUID, and my 230 FSB isnt labled that, its labbled HTT, and i also have reinstlaled the OS. it just seems like its running slow, my friend has an athlon XP 3200 and he got a 9780 on his benchmark. i only got a 8050. that seems unreasonable seeing as we have the same video card. do u think i should invest in some more RAM to make up for speed. that friend has a Gig of it. that may be the cause

the XP 3200 is about 10% slower than the 64 3200+ and probably only 2-5% slower than a 64 3000+. Ram speeds make a large difference, also he is probably running dual channel while you are not. The current socket 754 64 processors do not run dual channel.

i don't know exactly what you did, but the settings were probably fine from the factory.

I would suggest going into the bios, and restoring factory defaults.

EDIT: also make sure you have all the updated drivers for your video card. What benchmark is that? A cpu benchmark or an overall benchmark or a graphics benchmark? If its graphics then CPU has little impact(10% at the most in stuff like 3dmark03).

aah.. didnt u say ur FSB is 200. then wouldnt u need pc 3200 instead of 2700.. and running 2700, inturn wouldnt that cause overclocking to do nothing? or degrade performance?

now that i think about it, it was a 3d, not a pc benchmark...do u think i should run a pc benchmark? (it was 3dmark 01). if i restore factory settings, it runs slower. i overclockd it to go faster. i see an increase from what i did to it i have AMI bios and it lets me set my fsb from 190-280. if i go past 230 it locks up and i have to reset CMOS. i dont think the rocessor likes to run past 2.3 Ghz (10 multiplyer) is there a way to reduce the multiplyer so it will set the Ghz lower so i have more FSB to go to?

oh yeah, can you adjust the multiplyer, or do you buy the board with a multiplyer that stays at that set, ie, 11x stays 11x or you can change 11x to 13x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom