Memory Troubles :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
k, so both ram chips work, just not together..
is there something in the bios that says anything about dual channel?

Pretty sure there isn't I went snooping around and couldn't find much about memory in my BIOS only thing that was there was something called DDR DLL settings and the description was "after over clocking the memory if it becomes unstable try option 2".

2 things, after i went back and looked at your first post again I've come up w/ 2 possibilities.

1. Was the CPU oc'd when you put in the second stick of ram? Because from what I understand when you oc it will usually automatically change RAM values so you might have changed the values for one stick, but not the other so when you put them on seperately it reads them as individuals, one cranked up, one stock, which would cause a problem with dual channel because its reccomended that they are the same ram chip. And if one is messed with then they are different. If this might be the case, return all the values to original and put both ram chips in. there should be a button to return all bios settings to original values.

2. When you returned the other ram chip you might have gotten back a different ram chip then the one you purchased. So if you can, free of charge of course or with minimal cost to yourself, return both and get a new set of 2 from the package it might be worth trying that.

those are my 2 hypothesis' maybe one will work out.

Okay well I haven't overclocked my RAM but I will give it a go. As for the returning thing she gave me back a stick of RAM with exactly the same product code so I can only assume it's the same.

Okay.. A lot just happened hahaha. I loaded the optimized default settings, shut down the computer and put in the second stick of RAM. This time it got to the Login screen and I was like woop-ee it's working!!! Suddenly the display cut off and then after about 20 seconds the computer shut down. So I turned it off took out the second stick booted up with one and again Loaded the Optimized Default settings and shut down, put the second stick in and booted up. And now I am currently posting to you from my computer which has 2GB of RAM!!!!

However, I seriously doubt the stability of this setup. I think as soon as I put it under any load it will shut down. My computer is still lying on its side with insides exposed after this post I will turn it back upright and put the side back on and hopefully it will still be working.. wish me luck :).

Also I think it may be that my stupid Truepower 2.0 550W PSU is just unable to handle the RAM.

::EDIT:: Btw, Midnight if this works... I would kiss you if you were here. Haha.

Sorry for the triple post but there are new developments.

I had it running with 2 GB but severely doubted the stability. Anyway I turned off the computer and it would not turn back on again with the two sticks... *sigh*. I have a feeling it is because my power supply just can't handle it. So I guess I'm in the market for a new power supply.

How does the Corsair 620HX sound?

thats a really good psu. and honestly it was one of those things that if I hadn't gone up and rebuild the comp in my sig and oc'd the cpu I wouldn't have thought about it.

and its not a case where you can even get it to post?
cause if you could you could up the voltage on the ram and that might do something.

glad i could help.. hopefully :D

Yeah I can get it to post, how much should I up the voltage by? I think it's at 1.8 normally and the RAM says 1.8-2.2V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom