HD issue on start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
k so i get past post and i get a thing that runs when i can go into bios setup that says Detecting IDE drives and it says primary 1 master - none, primary 2 slave - none, for all 3. then it proceeds to go to DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I've tired 4 different hd's all with some OS on them and they all worked on different pc's but not this one. i've tried different ide cables, a different ide port on the mobo. and nothing works. so ideas?

Make sure you have the jumpers set correctly as well. That's more likely the problem there where the drives simply can't be seen by the bios. Set the drive's jumper to master for use on the end of the ide cable, slave for the middle one.

the jumpers are right, cause 2 of the drives have single/master as no jumpers on, and i've tried it with both IDE connectors and in both slots on my mobo.

Drives without jumper are preset to cable select. That's generally seen with prebuilt systems where a service simply drops in a new drive without fuss. But the board there or drives used may require the master or slave setting with a jumper pin.

Does the board have sata capability? That would be another option to try there. But with any drive installed a fresh copy of Windows would still be needed.

it does have SATA capability but the previous board/ previous computers haven't so I don't have any SATA drives. I have a PCI IDE Controller card so that might work.

Well the only time I've seen the disk boot failure message is when simply forgetting to reset the jumper when moving a drive around. That's why the suggestion for taking a look there first was made.

It's likely that you are seeing a board problem. But another thing I can point you to is going into the bios to load the defaults there. Then redo any changes like OS2 instead of non OS2 and the like to see if the board will then recognise a correctly configured drive. Could simply need a bios update if that lost some programming.

could it be an actual issue with the board? like a short or somethings faulty within the board?

Its version 6.00 of phoenix bios.

And there isn't any kind of OS2 option in my bios.

At one point I did reset the CMOS and the same thing happened so I don't think its that.

Have you set your Hdd to primary boot device? Or try eliminating all other boot devices in BIOS except the primary hard drive?

right and I do have xp home and pro on 3 of the 5 hd's im testing. Since I've had no luck with booting directly, one of the options as a primary boot is USB HDD which I tried to no avail. I was able to get up to the Windows F'd up and wants to be fixed.... that whole deal, and as soon as i choose which way i wanna proceed, last known good config, normally, safe mode etc, it restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom