should i voltmod my 8800gts 320mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
should i voltmod it by editing the bios of my 8800 gts? is it risky? the only way i overclocked my 8800gts was through atitool or ntune which i increased clock and memory frequency. i saw this NiBiTor and nvflash to get me started but has anyone tried overvolting their cards?

should i voltmod it by editing the bios of my 8800 gts? is it risky? the only way i overclocked my 8800gts was through atitool or ntune which i increased clock and memory frequency. i saw this NiBiTor and nvflash to get me started but has anyone tried overvolting their cards?

Nosboost has...

VR-Zone : Technology Beats - 8800GTS 320MB Pencil Voltage Mods

heres a guide... it does void your warranty and if you screw up... I don't take responsibility for it and neither does the maker of that link...

I flashed my GPU BIOS to increase the voltage a few weeks ago, and it created terrible lag for some reason. I just realized yesterday that the lag didn't start until after I flashed my card. Flashed it back, and now everything runs perfectly on max settings.

I'm going to try the pencil mods for the 7900GS...I was gonna do it today actually, but I couldn't find a 12v battery for my multimeter.

If you do go and flash just make sure you save a backup of the original BIOS before you do anything.

there's a huge database of bios that i can find for you.. just wait til i get home to give it to you..

as for doing pencil trick... risk factor is like 0..... no way your gonna mess up your card.. like seriously.. it so simple.. did it to my 7900gt long ago and came across 0 problems

if i still had my 8800gts, i woulda totally pencil modded it

soon... i'll get a soldering iron or something and start doing some real volt mods

but here is the rule of thumb...

ask yourself this.... are you games running how you want them.... if so... then NO... don't volt mod...

if they arent... then YES... voltmod... but be sure to buy a new cooler

I voltmodded a 7900 GT and a 7950 GT, with no problems.

The 7900 GT however, died when I put in a friends PC with a weaker power supply (at the time, he had a more powerful CPU, and I wanted to see what 3dmark score it would get)

Moral: Always, always, always get a good quality power supply with adequate power for your components. Especially if you plan to voltmod.

A friend of mine tells me, however, that the 7900 GT might actually be fixable.
I do actually get a display from the 7900 GT for a few seconds before it cuts out. Which would suggest a capacitor or a resistor might be the problem. They can be replaced with a soldering iron.

Also, when I first got my watercooling, I also got a waterblock for my 7950 GT.
When I turned on the computer, I just got a black screen.

I found out why when I took off the waterblock. It wasn't contacting the GPU properly (even though I was sure I put it on right)

There was a bubble next to the GPU. It melted.

That's when I got my 8800 GTS 320MB.

Basically, voltmodding the cards for me went fine. the 7900 GT I got all the way to 750MHZ, and the 7950 GT I got to 730MHZ (though at a slightly lower voltage).
They did die, but not because of the voltmods (or in the case of the 7900 GT, not directly. But it put too much strain on the power supply. But hopefully, I can fix it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom