Possible upgrades (please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigsaw250

Solid State Member
I am looking into possibly getting upgrades for my dell computer. Its an Optiplex GX620 and is, I guess, known as the "space saver" build of an Optiplex.

I am looking for a RAM upgrade as well as video and sound card upgrade as well, although the biggest upgrade at the moment would be the RAM.

Unfortunately I am not exactly sure what type of RAM I have. Does anyone know by chance what type of RAM an Optiplex GX620 has? I do know that I have four slots, two of which actually have memory modules in them and are each running at 256 MB. But besides that, I dont have any idea what kind of RAM it is. Is there anyway to find out what kind of RAM it is?

As far as the graphics card goes. I dont think I have any installed at the moment. Although I am assuming there has to be something there as I am viewing the computer screen right now, so it must just be a stock graphics card. I was looking at a few from the Nvidia GeForce line and saw a few different kinds such as PCI and AGP (I believe). Is there anyway to find out what kind of card my computer takes.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I apologize for being such a noob at these things, but everyone has to start out at the bottom right?

Your computer uses DDR2 ram, any is fine, as for video card, your computer can use PCI-Express which is good but your CPU will bottleneck anything decent.

The best CPU upgrade you can go is a Pentium D, even the best Pentium D 960 will only be fast as a Athlon 64 x2 3800+ or 4000+ which is not so good.

As for ram, if you want to, get another 2gbs, their pretty cheap nowadays.

And for your videocard, you won't want something to high end. x1950GT, x1950 PRO, 7900GS are in the $100 price range and will suit you.

But if you buy a whole new computer, you'll be able to pick faster and yet still cheaper parts and reuse things like the hard drive and the case. Thats what i would recommend.

Your computer uses DDR2 ram, any is fine, as for video card, your computer can use PCI-Express which is good but your CPU will bottleneck anything decent.

The best CPU upgrade you can go is a Pentium D, even the best Pentium D 960 will only be fast as a Athlon 64 x2 3800+ or 4000+ which is not so good.

As for ram, if you want to, get another 2gbs, their pretty cheap nowadays.

And for your videocard, you won't want something to high end. x1950GT, x1950 PRO, 7900GS are in the $100 price range and will suit you.

But if you buy a whole new computer, you'll be able to pick faster and yet still cheaper parts and reuse things like the hard drive and the case. Thats what i would recommend.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately at the moment I am too short on cash to buy an even reasonable new computer so at the present time a couple of upgrades will have to do.

With the video cards that you mentioned, will they all work with the CPU that I have? If I remember right, its a Pentium 4 at 2.80 GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom