HDD configuration with Windows XP- an odd question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisskerven

In Runtime
alright first off I've done a lot of research and I even searched on this forum for this subject- but havn't been able to find an answer..

I have read that setting a page file (aka not a min/max but 1 set number) can greatly help system performance but should be kept at 1.5-3x your RAM- depending on a variety of things, and the general conclusion was that using 2 Pagefiles - on different harddrives- set up at the begining of the drive- would achieve the most desired results of quick access and storage, normally using just 1.5 or 2x the RAM you have in EACH pagefile...

So this is what I need to know...

Using Windows XP Pro (does it matter 64 bit?) (or Vista?) Would it be better to partition a Sata 3.0Gb/sec HDD into parts for //OS//pagefile//games
-or-
to use a smaller- faster drive for the OS and Pagefile ONLY (say a 20GB 7200 or 10k RPM Sata) So that the OS would fit- plus updates- and the partial page file on the one "C" Drive and then use a seperate HDD for games/etc ?

I want fast- AND system performance- I built the computer Iam on now about 7 years ago- and with minor updates (I changed graphics cards..and added 1 stick of RAM) it's lasted through CONSTANT harsh abuse (running games it wasn't designed for- with overclocking and lower graphics setting) this system has finally fallen too far under Par for what I use them for- Iam lagging on all my games- system stability is dropping like crazy- my HDD s.m.a.r.t. is failing and saying I need to backup and replace now - its made the "click of death" I get about 30 Blue and Black screens o'doom a week- its become a total mess and trying to isolate the problem has made my head hurt. (I do believe it is JUST the HDD however- using a smaller- slower HDD works.. no blue/black screens yet- 2 days running)

The thing is with the new computer (Ill post what I have in mind later maybe if the threads not closed by the time I get some info)) Iam using "foreign technology" to me.. aka intel and nvidia.... I've never used either.. and I plan to be using both (unless I can find a nice AMD or Ati for cheaper/better perf)

I know I plan to have at least 2 HDD in my new system due to the fact HDD run better if you only fill about 50% of them and leave the rest "blank" (so to make up for the loss I just get another HDD and use it for storage, plus Jumpdrives and Externals if need be) but the idea of a 20gb for OS and Cache and other "system needs" then using a secondary HDD for games came to mind while re-researching raid (wanted to see what became of it)

My new Mobo will support raid, sata, usb 2.0 and the like- and even though "sli can be wasteful" I do plan to sli/crossfire my cards for one simple reason- when the "load" is split into half on any part in a computer- the parts have to work less at it- and last longer- not to mention CAN (did not say will) improve system speeds. so most the computer is based on 2. (and amp willing yes i will have dual power supply system to further this test to the extremes) the only thing my board does not support is Dual CPU- but it will be a Dual Core 64 bit... so hopefully same priciple will work. This splitting idea is another part of why I was thinking the seperate harddrive for OS, not just partition (since the head would have to transfer data and can only be in 1 spot at a time)

So please give me some input- I tried to be as detailed as possible- if you have any questions please ask I will gladly fill in the blanks.

alright first off I've done a lot of research and I even searched on this forum for this subject- but havn't been able to find an answer..
Welcome to the Forums.

I have read that setting a page file (aka not a min/max but 1 set number) can greatly help system performance but should be kept at 1.5-3x your RAM- depending on a variety of things, and the general conclusion was that using 2 Pagefiles - on different harddrives- set up at the begining of the drive- would achieve the most desired results of quick access and storage, normally using just 1.5 or 2x the RAM you have in EACH pagefile...

One pagefile, on faster hard drive. In fact, the page file is smaller as more ram is there.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-keep-winxp-really-fast-stable-156582/#1213279

So this is what I need to know...

Using Windows XP Pro (does it matter 64 bit?) (or Vista?) Would it be better to partition a Sata 3.0Gb/sec HDD into parts for //OS//pagefile//games
-or-
to use a smaller- faster drive for the OS and Pagefile ONLY (say a 20GB 7200 or 10k RPM Sata) So that the OS would fit- plus updates- and the partial page file on the one "C" Drive and then use a seperate HDD for games/etc ?

32-bit under 4 GB ram. 64-bit at 4 GB ram. Leave page file on faster drive. Your second idea is perfect.

I want fast- AND system performance- I built the computer Iam on now about 7 years ago- and with minor updates (I changed graphics cards..and added 1 stick of RAM) it's lasted through CONSTANT harsh abuse (running games it wasn't designed for- with overclocking and lower graphics setting) this system has finally fallen too far under Par for what I use them for- Iam lagging on all my games- system stability is dropping like crazy- my HDD s.m.a.r.t. is failing and saying I need to backup and replace now - its made the "click of death" I get about 30 Blue and Black screens o'doom a week- its become a total mess and trying to isolate the problem has made my head hurt. (I do believe it is JUST the HDD however- using a smaller- slower HDD works.. no blue/black screens yet- 2 days running)
Great to see that you have experience in building.

The thing is with the new computer (Ill post what I have in mind later maybe if the threads not closed by the time I get some info)) Iam using "foreign technology" to me.. aka intel and nvidia.... I've never used either.. and I plan to be using both (unless I can find a nice AMD or Ati for cheaper/better perf)
Correct, post a new thread. At T.F., we spoonfeed and make the build for you. You give us ideas and we give you the parts. Each build is based on needs and budget.

I know I plan to have at least 2 HDD in my new system due to the fact HDD run better if you only fill about 50% of them and leave the rest "blank" (so to make up for the loss I just get another HDD and use it for storage, plus Jumpdrives and Externals if need be) but the idea of a 20gb for OS and Cache and other "system needs" then using a secondary HDD for games came to mind while re-researching raid (wanted to see what became of it)
One HDD is actually fine. But two-HDDs also work. Most people use one HDD for O/S, pagefille, and files. Today's HDDs are fast enough and you WILL be amazed at the speeds.

My new Mobo will support raid, sata, usb 2.0 and the like- and even though "sli can be wasteful" I do plan to sli/crossfire my cards for one simple reason- when the "load" is split into half on any part in a computer- the parts have to work less at it- and last longer- not to mention CAN (did not say will) improve system speeds.
Actually, one eVGA 8800gts is enough for your system. SLI is a waste. The half-load thing is true but it's only a little performance for the hefty price.

so most the computer is based on 2. (and amp willing yes i will have dual power supply system to further this test to the extremes) the only thing my board does not support is Dual CPU- but it will be a Dual Core 64 bit... so hopefully same priciple will work. This splitting idea is another part of why I was thinking the seperate harddrive for OS, not just partition (since the head would have to transfer data and can only be in 1 spot at a time)
You don't need dual PSUs.You will just use a Intel Q6600 cpu, it's enough. That splitting idea doesn't really apply anymore today.

So please give me some input- I tried to be as detailed as possible- if you have any questions please ask I will gladly fill in the blanks.
I was really up for a challenge write a reply to this. The detail is great and you still have MUCH to learn. That's why you're here to get advise from us. Just don't hold back and listen to each person's opinion. We will help you from parts selection, to build, to troubleshooting, to overclocking, to advise, to making the system performing at it's best, and many more. Once again, it was a pleasure working with you and I hope you really enjoy this forum.

Actually, one eVGA 8800gts is enough for your system. SLI is a waste. The half-load thing is true but it's only a little performance for the hefty price.

actually I don't plan to go that beefy- the reason on dual as well is not for the 23ish (sometimes 40%) performance enhance- since my old 128mb card seems to have handled everything I've put on it just fine - but rather to lessen the load on the card- and if one fails generally the other won't.
oh and.. there not "TOO" expensive : Ill go into budget on the compy post though. Keep an eye open for it.

Oh and thanks a bundle ^.^ already some corner-cutting expense saving.

Oh one last thing... about using the 2 HDD
C: would be like 20 gig like I said, for OS and pagefile
D: would be much larger- and should it contain a pagefile too- or just C:- and would it matter if it was partitioned into sections for each (Games/Imagesscreenshots/etc) or would that slow down/speed it up any?

a card was found around 300 dollars that I will more then likely be using- it will also eliminate the need for sli- even though you could do it with them.. but youd be wasting your money.

It is on par with the 8800 Ultra even though its not an ultra itself- it blows all the cards in its class away. it will block a Pci express x1 slot- but a small sacrifice for it.

One kickin card mixed with a great cooler is better then sli for performance and price- it woulda taken nearly 400 for my sli- where this is 300 and over doubles the performance (just not in MB of vid ram- oh well)

and @ anime dude- why does your sig have 2 vid cards in it- that can't be sli together? they have to be the same series (or so I thought?) like 8600 and 8600- maker not important just the number, and the GT, GTS has to match I think. is that what you have/made or are you working on it- because I know you can get some of those parts really cheap (like 140 for all the ram)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom