Motherboard Capacitors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
My old Compaq Celeron 500MHz decided to blow...I use that comp for a home file and HTTP server, so I'm trying to get it working again. It won't boot or post or anything, the HDD spins up, PSU fan comes on, and power LED, but the CPU fan (on the motherboard) doesn't come on and the CPU doesn't heat up. Holding the button for 4 seconds does nothing. It comes on and boots up at random, works for a while, then randomly shuts off or reboots. I took it apart and the only thing I can see that looks like a problem is one of the capacitors near the PSU input. There are three 1000uf, 10v capacitors. One of them is bulged up and the metal cover is pushed almost all the way off the rubber base. I'm thinking it is probably the source of the problem, so I want to replace it, but I can't seem to find 1000uf, 10v capacitors anywhere.

Will a different voltage work, or does it have to be 10v? I have some 1000uf, 50v's lying around, but that doesn't sound like a good thing to put in a computer needing 10v.

if its only 1 capacitor thats poping up then the board should be still running fine, if theres more than 3 then thats a problem, first things first check the other components that make the board POST , read my sticky under my signature for guidance

The board usually does not post. I pulled the board out completelt and just plugged power and monitor in. Nothing happened on the screen (the board never did beep, even when it ran fine). It's a socket 370 Compaq board, is the best option to find a replacement on eBay? I've seen some that come with faster CPU's and AGP slot as well, two things that I'd like for the PC.

thats your first problem, You need " Ram, CPU, PSU, videocard or onboard if it has one" to make the board POST

Its not worth fixing because a Socket 370 is a P3 which are slow, you can find a board with newer generation RAM (DDR, DDR2, DDR3) that are faster than the SDRAM it currently has.
You can buy yourself a decent board(with onboard) with RAM and CPU for around $300 which will be a BIG improvment from what you have now

Wow...I ...no way!

$100 is pushing it, and I'd like to reuse what I already have (AGP 4X video card, 2x128MB PC133RAM, 256MB stick DDR PC2100 SDRAM, 120w ATX PSU, Compaq case, 60GB IDE HDD, 2 IDE CD drives). I found a decent AMD Athlon 64 system for like $125 (would have to get some DDR2 RAM though) but it only had 1 IDE port so it wouldn't be able to accomodate 2 drives. If I can get a PC better than my current good one (AthlonXP 2600+, microATX board, AGP slot) that has an AGP slot (for my current Radeon card), I'd swap the new one with my good PC, put my good PC's current board in the Compaq. I guess I'll look on Newegg for some older motherboards with the needed RAM, IDE, and AGP slots.

EDIT:
And yes, when I mean I pulled the board out, it had CPU/heatsink and a stick of RAM in it, I meant no HDD, CD, Floppy, just everything the core PC needs to post. It has an i810 integrated video card.

For $80 I found a Socket 754 motherboard with AGP8x and DDR RAM support and an AMD Sempron 64 1.6GHz 2600+ CPU socket 754. This seems like it would work with all the components I have now, so I'll probably buy that to turn my old PC into a relatively good new PC. (I might even swap it out with my good desktop, the 64 bit Sempron would probably beat my 32 bit AthlonXP if I use a 64 bit OS like Ubuntu).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom