Built a new computer...NO POWER!!! HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imconfused

Baseband Member
i know a lot about computers but i never actually built one before. bought a barebones kit from tigerdirect.com and bought a cpu fan seperately from newegg.com and built it all yesterday and today and went to power it on and nothing, i've rearranged the front panel wiring, checked all the board power connections, made sure all the wires and cables were connected to their correct respective place and still nothing, the only thing i see is that when i plug the power cord into the power supply and flip the power switch on the power supply to on a green light turns on on the motherboard right between the SATA connections to the board and the front panel connections. no power shows other than that. any ideas would be much appreciated...i really would like to finish this pc asap. our old computer was outdated and my mom wanted to play the sims 2 and she just got an operation and is being discharged from the hospital tomorrow so i'd like to have it up and running for when she gets home so she can play her game while recovering. thanks in advance!

SYSTEM SPECS:

- Intel D945GCPE Socket 775 Mobo
- Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz OEM CPU
- Ultra 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 Memory
- Maxtor DiamondMax 21 200GB HD
- Sony NEC Optiarc 18x DVD Burner
- Power Up ATX Silver Mid Tower with 450W Power Supply
- Thermaltake CL-P0378 90mm CPU Cooler

Hey imconfused
Welcome-to-TF.png

Do the fans spin or lights turn on, when you press the power button?

Try another stick of memory, if possible. It might be a faulty memory stick.

From the sound of it the power button isnt connected to the right pins or properly seated. Remove everything from the machine, memory, video, any other pci cards, hdd/opticals and try to power it on. Leave the cpu in though. When you try to power it on you should get a post error due to no video and no memory. If nothing happens, then either the board is DOA or the power button front panel plugs are improperly connected.

disconnected everything and still the only thing i see with power is the little green led on the motherboard between the SATA connections and the front panel connections. no fans are spinning at all, just that one little tiny green led is lit up.

ok, standoffs are used to seperate the mobo from touching the metal mobo tray, basically if the mobo is touvhing the mobo tray then it shorts, usinng standoffs prevents this from happening. I'm not sure if casues pernament damage if the mobo is turned on when its touching the tray.

i wish i would've known that beforehand, the motherboard installation directions that came with it weren't very descriptive and never even showed me the standoffs, they came with but i didn't know what they were, i just thought they were weird looking screws. i looked at the tutorial in the building a new computer forum and i saw what the standoffs were, but just a little too late. i will disconnect the mobo from the case and try to up them in now and just cross my fingers it works. hopefully i can get a replacement if it is shorted out. guess there's no way for sure of knowing is there? no way to test it other than to reconnect and try to power up?

success, yet not. i rebuilt it with the standoffs in place and hooked everything back up and powered on, the chasis fan powered, the built in blue light for the case turned on, the dvd burner showed a read light and i could open and close the tray, i could hear the hdd spinning, there was a digital readout for my case temp but the cpu fan would not spin and i couldn't get a display at all. i originally had the monitor hooked up to the onboard so i could disable the onboard in the bios, then switched it to the first vga on the pci card and then the second but nothing, i even took the pci card out and tried with the onboard but still no display and still no cpu fan spinning...what now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom