Double-click problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

calosIII

Baseband Member
hi.
how do you change what happens when you double click anything in My Computer? in a friend's pc, when double click on any drive C: D: or E: it doesn't open the drive. instead a message pops up which i don't remember the contents. but when i right click, turns out that the option that is written in bold is not Open which is the default option, but Autoplay. so naturally when i double click a drive, the computer is trying to autoplay it, causing the message box to pop out.
so how do change the default double click action to Open?

you cant. you just have to right click on CDs and click explore. also, you dont get Autoplay with the C: drive, because it isnt a CD drive.

Well, that's not totally true. I know that Windows will autoplay any external harddrive or memory stick. It's not just for CD's. If you say it autoplays the C: drive too, I believe it. I haven't figured out how to change that yet. Are you using XP or Vista?

thanks for your replies murdocsvan and forrestcupp. this pc is using win xp sp2. sorry for not being clear earlier.
like i said, the pc is not actually autoplaying the drive (how would it do that) but its trying to. the option that's in bold when i right click is Autoplay and since it cant, a message pops up telling that it cant autoplay or something like that. i dont remember the exact message and since its not my pc i cant really check it.
so again, how does one change the default double click action back to Open? i know it hasn't always been like that. it just happened recently.

Well, that's not totally true. I know that Windows will autoplay any external harddrive or memory stick. It's not just for CD's. If you say it autoplays the C: drive too, I believe it. I haven't figured out how to change that yet. Are you using XP or Vista?

This will only happen if you turn on your external while in Windows when it was off during boot. It will also only happen when you insert a USB stick while Windows is on.

If the External is on and the USB stick already inserted then you wont have the Auto Play issue when click on the drive. I have a External always on and connected to my PC and i only have this issue when i turn it off and then back on.

As for the USB Thumbdrives same thing. If they are already inserted then you wont get this. But if you insert on it will auto play.

All of this can be resolved withint program defaults per drive. Right click on your CD/DVD drive and click the Auto play tab. FRom there choose the option for the drive to do nothign when media is inserted. Guess what. After you insert a CD/DVD/Game/XP disc...no matter what it wont do anything. You will have to go and open the drive and start the functions yourself.

Same goes for if you want the movie you inserted to start WMP or Real Player or what not. Just right click>auto play tab>DVD and check on the box for Play in WMP and check the box "Do this everytime this media is inserted" problem solved.;)

This will only happen if you turn on your external while in Windows when it was off during boot. It will also only happen when you insert a USB stick while Windows is on.

If the External is on and the USB stick already inserted then you wont have the Auto Play issue when click on the drive. I have a External always on and connected to my PC and i only have this issue when i turn it off and then back on.

As for the USB Thumbdrives same thing. If they are already inserted then you wont get this. But if you insert on it will auto play.

All of this can be resolved withint program defaults per drive. Right click on your CD/DVD drive and click the Auto play tab. FRom there choose the option for the drive to do nothign when media is inserted. Guess what. After you insert a CD/DVD/Game/XP disc...no matter what it wont do anything. You will have to go and open the drive and start the functions yourself.

Same goes for if you want the movie you inserted to start WMP or Real Player or what not. Just right click>auto play tab>DVD and check on the box for Play in WMP and check the box "Do this everytime this media is inserted" problem solved.;)
i'm sure this is all good but i dont think its related to my problem, that is i cant double click to open an internal drive, not external or usb drive. thanks anyway.

schecters - thanks for that link. from that site i found a fix thats seems a direct answer to my problem at this link: Error message "Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components" when you double-click a drive
since the problem pc is not mine i cant try the solution yet. but i'll get to it when i can.

Have you gone under the hardware (Mouse) options in the Control Panel and made sure that the clicking of the mouse buttons is not reversed? Where the right click is actually the left and the left is the right?

Makaveli213 - i dont have that pc with me now so i cant check but i'm sure the left and right buttons are not reversed because they function normally apart from the problem i stated. i can double click normally and right click normally anywhere else in windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom