Some overclocking help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, I have an e6750 which I'm overclocking right now (posting this on a laptop right now). I managed to get it stable/pass with Orthos at these settings:

FSB: 421
Voltage: 1.35 (default)
CPU Clock: ended up being 3488MHz
Temps: Idle - 23, Load - 58

Ok, so I attempted to push the FSB up to 436, but I got an error in Orthos on Core#1 (my 2nd core) after 3 seconds. So I decided to go try to change the voltage up 1 notch, up to 1.35625v, but I still got the error after 3 seconds in Orthos. Also, when I upped the voltage/went to load Windows, after the loading screen Chkdisk started to run and did tests (is this normal? Not sure if it is...but I was able to boot into Windows fine after it got done running Chkdisk/restarted). So then I decided to revert back down to the last stable reading I had, and Orthos didn't yell at me this time after 3 seconds.

So here's my question: Should I try to take the FSB back up to 436, and up the voltage 1 notch at a time until I stop getting errors with Orthos? Or is that dangerous?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. And also, mind you, this is my first time overclocking =).

Wow 35 degrees difference from idle to load? Your comp shouldnt run hotter than 50C if its idle is really 23C.

Idle should be when your computer has been running for 1 hour and not at full load. Sometimes when your computer has been off for a while, and when you turn it on, the CPU temp is really low but slowly climbs up as time passes. So the idle temp is when your computer is just sitting there and its temperature is no longer climbing or dropping.

Vcore is the main item to be concerned about. Try bumping the Vcore up one notch every time it fails a test. At a certain point you can then play with MCH, FSB and RAM Voltages.
Thought, right off, I suggest RAm Voltage to be + .2, PCIE to be defualt, MCH to be +.1 and FSB to be +.1

Also, set orthos priority to 10 and use Small FFT test.

You probably just need more voltage to the vcore. Since you have a DS3R motherboard, set the FSB and Chipset voltages to +0.1v to help with the stability. And make sure you RAM voltage is correct, at it's stock. Since you have G. Skill the default is 2.0-2.1, so set the DDR2 Overvoltage to +0.3v

edit: Ste beat me to it. Same time stamp too.

Also, to begin, set your RAM to be at a 1 to 1 ratio with the FSB, once you find your max stable clock you can play with memory settings more.

Also Number 2: Although Orthos priority 10 on small FFT is an intense test, the true test of stability is the ability to run SMP folding for an indefinite amount of time.

@pinoy: I usually keep my comp on quite a bit, so it'll be running at 23 when I go to check it after like when I get home from school (because I usually turn it on either before I go to school or when I come home for lunch). BIOS also says it's 23. It'll vary from 23-25 at times, though. I've been using CoreTemp to read my temps, as well.

Already have the FSB/MCH to .1+ voltage. I'll try setting the RAM overvoltage/making sure it's at stock voltage. RAM's already at a 1:1 ratio (checked in Everest).

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I'll mess w/ this stuff after I get home from work tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom