Strange time skipping problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
Normally i'd think this is a hardware problem but it only happened once i reformatted my vista partition for the first time. Anyways, this typically happnes while I'm listening to music, at least that i am aware of because i hear the speakers crackle, but basically the whole computer looses about 1/10 of a second when it does this.

The windows clock, flash games / movies playing, music, and everything freezes for a small amount of time... i mean were talking part of a second. Once it comes back its as if it never happened (based on where i am through a song, a movie, the windows clock, etc).

After about a week i'll check the clock and its down about 5 minutes from what the time shoudl be, so its happeneing quite a bit.... maybe every 5 minutes when the computer is on.

does this make any sense? (sorry... a little sleep deprived)

What could be causing this? i have no idea where to look but everything is exactly as it was before.

it was a reinstall of vista. My guess is that it has something to do with the creative drivers... at least thats what my gut is telling me based on their terrible drivers in the past for things like this :-\

I didn't expect to get an answer because of the completely random behavior of this problem but it was fixed.

I accidentally forgot to activate windows and after my 30 days had no choice but to reinstall. As I did I figured why not reformat everything, so i cleaned it all up and it works fine now =)

CRAP its still happening =[

...but only AFTER i've updated windows. I think one of the 50 updates were to blame.

If i find it i'll report back but seems like a difficult task to accomplish

SOLVED!

SOO... those having this strange problem i found the solution

in essence Microsoft released an update to fix this... its two hotfixes

x64 versions:
Download details: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB941649)
Download details: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB941600)

x86 versions:
Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB941649)
Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB941600)

The link was removed so heres the story [google cache]
Hey there!

After I feel better now after 5 postings of ranting, complaining and whining about the sound problems that I have with my XFI card and my brand new PC (old one had same trouble), I wasted some more time in google and here in forums. I thought I already tried every solution from users, but now I saw a posting here somewhere from a Vista User which manually installed the folliwing updates:

Windows6.0-KB941649-x86.msu
Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB941649)

Windows6.0-KB941600-x86.msu
Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB941600)

He said his crackling problems were solved after this. He just had trouble while hearing music, while I had trouble when playing games so I thought to give those fixes a try.

So I downloaded them and installed them (took very long) and now after reboot I started my GTR2 Game which was very bad and unplayable before. Even the Intro Videos had crazy soundeffects (crackling, static sound ect), like you can hear here:

http://www.homeys-bunker.de/homey/XFI_Crap.AVI

Now I have installed those updates and started GTR2 game again and guess what ... no crazy sound effects. It's the first time in my life I hear the XFI with a clear sound without any crackling or other problems. It's probably too early now to say it fixed my problems. With my luck I will get this trouble again in 1-2 minutes or other games cause problem. I just have played GTR2 for a few seconds without any problems, but I thought to directly share it with you before I go playing and testing again. It would be too nice to be true ...

Maybe you want to give those Vista Updates a try too?

Like said: no idea if it really fixes anything. Maybe my PC has just a good hour. It has problems for 1 year now with the XFI and I have tried 500 different drivers, fixes and whatever. Using different hardware now, different windows versions, whatever I tried it did never change anything. Now I installed those 2 Vista Updates and my problems seem to be gone for now !?

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=26363

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom