bad temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compy

Daemon Poster
alright, the case i have has no fans, the only fan in side it is the cpu fan, and psu fan. now, the cpu at idle is 59c and during gaming it's 75c. the case at idle is 43 and gaming is 47.
p4 2.53ghz 533fsb, stock hs fan
msi 845e max 533fsb
geforce fx5700le 128mb

are these temp levels dangerous, they have probaly been runing like this for about 2 years maybe.

this is my dads comp so i hope he'll let me fix it.

Shut that thing down. You're very close to meltdown. Most likely your heatsink/CPU fan is improperly installed. Are you using cooling compound such as arctic silver 5 or a thermal pad that came with the CPU fan assy? Is your CPU fan turning? If not, check your connection. Don't play games with that computer until you have resolved the heat problem otherwise you may very well fry your CPU.

the fan is working at about 3500 RPM's. i think that every thing is stock cooling wise. my dad had this comp place install it about 2 years ago, and then i had no clue about comps. well i hope my dad will listen to me, he'll probaly say some thing like we've been playing games on this comp for 2 years (he got the cpu when it first came out so whenever that was) and we haven't had problems yet. what kind of a fan should i get for it then?

uh, to start with, make sure you dont' hold that thing in one of those desk hutches.
59 degrees sure as hell is high. is this an oem, did u buy it off from like dell or somethin? cuz a case w/ no fans...?
it sure would help if you'd put in a case fan, maybe it's got a fitting for one up front (inside the case).
try replacing either the whole case, buy one for like 25 bucks off newegg, put a couple of fans in it, they go for about 5 bucks a piece, and replace that damn cpu fan, for god's sake!
good luck, and pray that it isn't damaged yet, kiddo

alright, i'll try to talk my dad into it. it's not in a hutch, i don't think. it's on the ground but i don't think that matters. thanks for tellin me guys, i guess i better make him do it...lol.

what is a hutch thingy? oh yeah the case isn't dell, it's a custom built computer... the case is from 1998 though... when i think cooling wasn't that big of an issue.

You need to get at least 2 fans. One for intake, and what for output. One at the front, and one at the back.

With stock cooling, your CPU temp should average in the 35 degree range at idle and low 50's when playing intense game. Your fan/heatsink might have moved a bit. Make sure the thermal pad that came with it is well seated. Better yet, get some thermal compound for a few bucks and apply it between heatsink/CPU. Do a search on this forum to find out how to do it. There are numerous posts about it.
As I said earlier, don't play games with that thing until you've resolved the heat issue.
As for the hutch thing, it's the opening in the computer desk designed to hold your tower. It does not provide good air circulation, that's it.

About your dad "letting" you fix it, just speak with a confident voice and tell him the problem and how to fix it... hopefully he will be more helpful than a burden :)

Pentium 4 processors can "handle" 67C to 77C depending on exact model, the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition can only handle temperatures of 64C - 67C.

Invest in a better heatsink and fan, maybe it just needs cleaning? Maybe it just needs fresh air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom