Watts needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk13

In Runtime
Hey everyone, I plan on making a system in a couple months (once nvidia releases their new 'high-end' video card, and intel releases the 45nm cores.). So I'm wondering how many watts I would need for this:

CPU: Q6600 (will overclock)
Video Card: 2x 8600GT's (SLI)
HDD: 2x SATA drives 250gig RAID 0.

I tried the Antec site, and used the watt calculator there, but my result was 768 or something, and that didn't seem quite right.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask :).

A Corsair 520HX or 550VX, can handle that easily. It's not the wattage, it's the amps on the +12 v rails. And those Corsairs have 54A and 41A respectively. Enough for any high end system.

Blackhawk, there is more to it than just "watts". I am going to suggest to you that you get yourself this:
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E - CMPSU-620HX In Canada.
It is the step up from the one that I will be ordering for my new computer.
I would also recommend STAYING AWAY FROM THE 8600GTs!! Two of those in SLi is an utter waste of money. Do yourself a favor and get the 8800GT or GTS. Those 8600GTs are going to leave you craving more. There are some ok reviews on them but only at smaller screen resolutions with games that are not graphically demanding. SLi is a gimmick and you are falling for it. Spend the money that it would cost for 2 crappy cards on 1 better card. You will understand why when you do it.

Blackhawk, there is more to it than just "watts". I am going to suggest to you that you get yourself this:
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E - CMPSU-620HX In Canada.
It is the step up from the one that I will be ordering for my new computer.
I would also recommend STAYING AWAY FROM THE 8600GTs!! Two of those in SLi is an utter waste of money. Do yourself a favor and get the 8800GT or GTS. Those 8600GTs are going to leave you craving more. There are some ok reviews on them but only at smaller screen resolutions with games that are not graphically demanding. SLi is a gimmick and you are falling for it. Spend the money that it would cost for 2 crappy cards on 1 better card. You will understand why when you do it.

hah. I was waiting for someone to say that! :D. I haven't settled on anything yet, but there's a lot of mixed reviews on the 8600GT's. I may settle on the 340mb 8800GTS yet... We shall see.

edit: Also, could this PSU support two 8800GTS' if I decided to SLI them later?

agreed, there just no point in having sli with those cards. and yes the psu will handle 2 i would say

well yeah since i guess they are said to be nearly as good as a gts so an ultra would be better. i have seen sum benchies where one beats a gtx but at the price i doubt thats the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom