computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
ok well a while ago i had an issue that i thought i had gotten figured out, and i didn't. i killed my computer somehow and got frustrated enough and i let it go, got a laptop and went from there. now i have some interest in reviving my system and using it for some gaming in the future. so here's the timeline.

Got new cpu (e4400) mobo (i forget lol)
shorted out mobo from error on cpu installation
got new mobo got everything fixed by some people, wiring job sucked, was bored, wanted to make it cool looking, and wanted to add some drives. so i put the wires behind the mobo, there were grooves in the back pannel so it fit, cut some wires ( coudl that have shorted something) and installed 4 more ide hd's.
computer won't turn on, i get angry, kick it, put it up in my attic.

the deal with the comp is that it will turn on, lights, led's, cpu fan, hd's. no signal to moniter.
i've tested ram, and video card on a working computer.
took out all hd's but the one w/ windows on it.
took out the psu and put a new one in.
disconnected everything unnessicary such as extra fans, led's etc.

the thing is when i put in the main hd to an external exclosure to get files off it onto my laptop it doesn't register.

that is the issue at hand, so im thinking either i have a wacked out main drive, or something in the cpu/mobo combo is shot. any help is mucho appreciato. :D

So your saying there is no video output to your monitor at all, and from what I read you could've cut wires from either your case or one of your powersupplies which may have resolved an issue in the beginning. (i.e replacing a power supply).
A motherboard is just that, a 'motherboard', so everything you plug into it will needed to be properly seeded into it and have a nice connection to it. I would start all over again, this time being a tad more careful and making sure everything is plugged in, for example, I had issues where there was no signal to my monitor and my pc made a few beeping noise(cpu error/no connection).

I had to start over, there was some thermal paste on the pins which , after i cleaned, I then had to reseed the cpu. problem was, i had to much cpu thermal paste ontop and my heatsink(whenever pushed down and locked) pulled 'up' on the cpu some how.

So, try some trial and error, make sure the CPU chip's prongs are all clean of debries and the chip is making full contact with all the inserts on the board. If not, then that could be one problem, also, check on that motherboard and see exactly what model/make it is.

hiding your wires behind the motherboard is a good idea, some of the time most cases won't have enough 'space' to do that trick or the powersupply wires are too thick.

Either way, start from the beginning, check on that CPU and it's connection, it sounds like the motherboard is taking in the signal(all the lights coming on) but the cpu isn't making enough connection to get started(no bodies home).

the mobo doesn't have lights and doesn't beep so that i can't do anything that way, and i haven't done anything to the cpu and it went from working to not working, the cpu wasn't touched during that time. im gonna get it out and put some stuff in and see what happens so ill keep you posted.

Have you tried connecting everything but outside the case?

A few years back(2003) I built a budget pc. Everything would start(cpu fan, ps,lights,etc...)but after 2sec it would all shutdown.
I too was ready to kick it to the curb and forget about it.
Got on a pc forum, don't remember the name, but someone suggested to install outside case. Guess what, it worked. But when I put everything back in case....no luck.
So the same person that suggested outside case also suggested I use the foam piece that comes with the mb. He said to put under the mb in the case.
Well to my surprise...it worked!!!
Try it. Sounds weird and I thought it wouldnt work but it did.

Good luck.

all it was was a messed up ram stick. and it runs fine now.. cept i have to install xp pro.. BOO! haha. thanks for the help tho.

So you built this computer, couldn't get it running and stuck it in the attic?

holy crap..... That was like $800 sitting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom