Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Hey guys. So, I got a computer that is on the blink. Last week, someone rebooted it and windows never loaded. The system posted fine, windows xp startup menu would come up asking for safe mode, etc etc and then when you picked one, or waited the 30 seconds, the screen goes blank until you reboot. Tried to reinstall windows, and windows setup wouldn't even load. Checked all hardware, all works fine.

So, I went on vacation for a week and during that time, we ordered two exact hard drives (this computer is for a business) so that we could set up RAID 1 on it (mirroring). Get home today, put the new hard drives in, setup the raid, everything goes perfect (yes I used RAID drivers for the windows setup). We install everything and install the original hard drive as a 3rd drive for backup (not formatted yet... still had all data on it). Installed everything fine, drivers, and some software, rebooted fine. All of the sudden, on one particular reboot, the same problem happened (windows starts to load, but goes to black screen). So, back to square one. After unplugging, replugging and more plugging, I eliminated every possible hardware piece I could. Gave up and tried to reinstall windows again. Now, windows setup will not get past "Starting Windows setup". Will load all drivers and raid drivers fine, but then goes to look at the hard drives, and freezes.

I took a ubuntu CD and installed linux on BOTH of the drives and it worked fine. Took the drives out, put them in my computer (in my sig), deleted all partitions, created a new one, and formatted it (NTFS). Tried to install again, no go. Checked temps, all temps are good (40-50c)

I'm at a loss here. The system is:

Abit KN9
1gb Patriot
5200+ X2 AM2
7300 GT
DVD+/-RW
500w Thermaltake PS
(2) SataII WD 250gb WD2500YS hard drives
Win XP Pro

Any ideas here?

I'll have to find a program to do that, and i've tried 3 different windows CD's

Found this a minute ago... same exact problem. Guy said changing the processor fixed it, but i'm not sure how it could not work, work perfectly fine for a few hours, then not work again. Tried reseating everything, no go.

Can't Install XP

you said it all goes bad when it tries to mess with the hard drives.

I think its either the hard drive controller on the motherboard or the motherboard itself. get a hard drive controller card and hook them up to that and see what happens.

I got here too late. you should have clear it first.

unplug all hdds and ram and power. take the battery out and hold power button for 30 seconds. clear the cmos pin too to be sure. put battery back and plug in. turn on comp. it will beep but won't boot. repeat this. now put the hdd's back in.

wipe the drive clean with powermax or wipedrive (let me know if you need them). reinstall windows. I also would stay away from raid. raid 5 really is the only kinda reliable one

I've had that happen to a couple of computers. clearing the board in this manner made the machine bootable again

Tried that clearning CMOS... didn't help. Also, wiped hard drives numerous times numerous ways. Again, checked hard drives in MY computer and they worked fine installing windows, etc.

Thanks though... hehe New mobo fixed and the old one is RMA'd

Tried that clearning CMOS... didn't help. Also, wiped hard drives numerous times numerous ways. Again, checked hard drives in MY computer and they worked fine installing windows, etc.

Thanks though... hehe New mobo fixed and the old one is RMA'd

that's good to hear. the reason I told you to do it that way is because errors can sometime get stuck in memory and on the hdd (as both of these have a lot of storage) clear just the cmos wouldn't work.

I've encounter this error on 3 different computers. I had to follow those exact steps would fix it. nothing else would. tuning the computer on after clearing the cmos with no ram or hdd connected will clear every last trace of everything.

but you have a warranty, so don't worry about it

I really think that one of those instance that microsoft had stuck something virus like in my ram. I was running a test to show people what would happen if you use a certain blacklist windows xp and go to windows update

glad to hear that you got it fixed, guess I was a little off on my suggestion. gl with the new board!! Eric, I shall remember what you said in here, might prove useful later on with my new setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom