HP Pavillion dv9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_olin

In Runtime
I bought an HP Pavillion dv9000 that came with Vista. I did not like Vista so I installed XP Pro SP2. I googled "Pavillion drivers" and downloaded the display/NIC/audio drivers. And everything works... here is the weird thing...

My GF has essentially the same laptop (slightly older/smaller, but same CPU and video card and RAM) but she can run games faster than me (grr). I was wondering if maybe I'm missing any drivers for my laptop or anything... also... i noticed this (see attached image). On my GF's laptop is says 1.6 GHz for her CPU... but mine says 803 MHz. Any ideas? I'm dying to do some gaming but I'm not too happy with the performance.

Thanks

Attachments

• weird.JPG
    weird.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 384
Your CPU is undervolting. Two reasons:

-Less power required from battery
-Less heat generated

Because processors can't operate at full speed without full voltage, they also underclock (otherwise they would be unstable). In your case, your voltage and clock are cut roughly in half.

This is a good thing since less voltage means less battery power needed, and less heat.

Depending on your power scheme setting (XP is much more confusing than Vista here), your processor may be always undervolting, or it may be sometimes undervolting, or it may never undervolt.

Play around with your power schemes (right click desktop > properties > screensaver > power) to find one that works for you. The two that I generally use in XP are "Always on" (prevents undervolting/underclocking), and "Max battery" (always undervolts/underclocks).

I have my laptop plugged in, and my power settings at "Always On". Yet it is still undervolting. Any other ideas?

actually I played with the power settings a bit and got it to stop undervolting.. thanks for the help!

It sometimes takes a few seconds for it to kick in and for Windows to update the processor speed. If it's acting goofy, google for AMD's latest mobile drivers (they released one September 2007 for XP).

I actually just purchased a dv9000 and was curious if it worth trying to oc it at all. I heard you could actually pump it up a bit before it starts getting to hot. Any info on this?

i didn't know you could oc on prebuilt computers. i thought they locked the bios so you couldn't get into it..

It isn't recommend on a laptop. All laptops run hot enough as it is. It would be in your best interest to just leave it at stock speeds, the performance increase from what overclock you would get wouldn't really help much with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom