Q6600 on stock cooling: how far can I push it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
35idle is MORE then safe for quads.

Those quads push out alot of heat, especially the B3's. I wouldn't recommend overclocking with a stock heatsink, especially with a quad core.

Don't go past 65 under load. And if you do hit 65 under load, that better be after a good 45 minutes to an hour of running a stress test.

But remember, you're not very likely to have all 4 cores under 100% load for a long period at time, let alone at once. So if you hit a bit above 65 after stress testing for awhile, don't worry about it. Just keep it under 65 to play it safe.

well he still hasnt figured what his idle or load temps are...
he needs to check it from his bios first and then compare with the softwares...
all the softwares i've used so far are off by about 8-12 degrees.

its different for everyone.

I could have sworn the tjunction of 100 was what a quad is supposed to have. Thats what my coretemp shows.

I looked i up on wikipedia, veedubfreak was right it is supposed to be 100. When I get home I'll download the version of CoreTemp that you recommended, krazyq, and check it with the bios's temp readings.

I looked i up on wikipedia, veedubfreak was right it is supposed to be 100. When I get home I'll download the version of CoreTemp that you recommended, krazyq, and check it with the bios's temp readings.

alright...sorry about that.
But yeah, post back bios temps and core temps reading when you get back.

Ok I've redownloaded CoreTemp and it's showing temps from 46-52* C across the cores and the computer's idle right now. I'm going to restart and check the bios, I'll edit in the bios temps once I've got them. (CPU's at 2.7 GHz btw [300 MHz bus])

Alright, bios temps are showing 39*C and the EasyTune program is showing similar readings. Should I just use EasyTune to monitor my CPU from now on?

To monitor your CPU under load, use CoreTemp. To montior cold and warm boot idle temps, check your BIOS.

Tjunction is 100 on quad cores.

Don't go above 65 for long at all on your quad, with B3 or G0 stepping.

Simple as that.

Idling at anything above 40C isnt really going to be good for your machine, because its going to mean load temps above 60C. TBH, you dont really need to overclock right now as a stock q6600 is going to be more than enough for 99% of tasks. Just leave it at stock speeds until you can afford to upgrade the cooling then push the crap out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom