Won't boot to anything but BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the exact same problem, I had to replace my harddrive. Which is good considering that everyone was telling me the mobo was dead. :)

Though mine wasn't 3 years old.

Well if you can't get a chkdsk running then I suggest to connect the HD to a different PC , format from there and then check if windows boots. I had this happen to me about a week and it wouldn't boot for me, so when windows was loading files I just connected my HD after it finished, check if you can get to the Windows window with the HD disconnected.

Well MEMTEST ran over night and found zero errors. Changed the CD drive, no help. Don't have a new HD to try but I'll see if I can find an old one or something.

Do this , Boot from CD and keep your HD only with power no SATA/IDE let the Windows do its thing and when the blue windows things start to load connect the drive and check if it finds the partition.

Do this , Boot from CD and keep your HD only with power no SATA/IDE let the Windows do its thing and when the blue windows things start to load connect the drive and check if it finds the partition.

I did find an old HD and it booted to the install screen. Guess the old one is just toast. I never had one be so bad that it wouldn't at least get to the format screen though. Wonder if is a problem with the power in the drive itself. Like maybe something internal related to the power? Dunno. I'll try to get funding for a new one. Red tape runs the show...

If there was any data on that HD that needed recovering you could try the freezer trick to try an get the data back.

If there was any data on that HD that needed recovering you could try the freezer trick to try an get the data back.

There may be, but I am unsympathetic when it comes to that. I tell these people from day one of hire, do NOT store data you might need on the local PC. Save it to your network share. Programs can be reinstalled, but I am not taking the time to try and recover your data that you can just as easily save to the network and gets backed up daily in multiple locations. Local PC's do NOT get backed up. Every user has their own network share for this purpose. 80GB of space. I'm the computer nazi I guess. *L*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom