Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wog2000

Baseband Member
Hi, I just put together a new rig and am now considering if I want to set it up with RAID. I just installed most of the software but before I go any further I would like to hear from you guys if it's worth doing.

well you already have 2 x 750gb WD's so ya its definatly worth it
i recommend RAID 0, you wlil notice faster loading times

I've never used a RAID, though I'm planning to for my next PC, so I've been researching it a little.

So far RAID5 is my favorite RAID, though, I don't know if I'd do it unless I had four hard drives or more. RAID5 doesn't have as high of a performance increase as RAID0 (some argue that even RAID0 doesn't even increase performance that much, I'm not sure), however, RAID5 is said to be pretty close to that of RAID0.

However, you should always try and backup critical data if you can. Though it is unlikely that two drives could fail at the exact same time, it's not unheard of. Especially if you buy all your hard drives at once, they'll be from the same 'batch' of hard drives, and likely contain similar defects - increasing the chance that multiple drives fail at the same time, or for the same reason.

Even with this in mind, I think the protection from a RAID5 would be enough that I'd sleep better at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom