533 fsb ok with 400 fsb mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
just bought a p4 2.4g, 533mhz fsb, 1mb L2 cache.......my mobo supports 400 fsb, will it work ok and clock itself down to 400 fsb? God I hope so. The p4 2.4 400mhz fsb only came with 512mb L2 cache but i wanted the added performance.

I haven't installed it yet cuz I wanted feedback first so that I don't open the box in case I need to return it.

further specs below if needed.

jaknlisa619 said:
The p4 2.4 400mhz fsb only came with 512mb L2 cache but i wanted the added performance.

the only problem here is that the processor with 512 cache is faster than the one you bought. the one with 512 is called northwood and the one you bought is a prescott. northwoods at that speed run a lot faster than prescotts. also, your processor may run at 400 mhz fsb, but it will decrease the processor speed to about 1.8 ghz rather than the 2.4 its supposed to run at. return the processor and exchange it for the 400 fsb 2.4 ghz processor, you wont regret it.

then why the heck is the prescott more expensive?

*EDIT* crap! @!#@$% I did it again.....made the wrong choice....not only did I @#$%^ myself with performance but I got @#$%^ on the money I spent on it......well, almost, at least I didn't open the damn box so I can exchange it day after tomorrow......

well, i did it, exchanged it for a northwood. runs smooth as icecream, even raised my 3dmark2001se score from 6600 to over 7400...not bad with the cheap vid card I have. thanks people for the advice on getting the northwood versus the prescott.

note...at full load it even ran cooler, 46c versus 50c

apokalipse said:
the Prescotts only start performing better than Northwoods at 3GHZ and up
The prescotts will not perform better than the northwood sister core until they reach 3.6ghz whitch is when they take advantage of there super long pipelines.

apokalipse said:
Ive seen some benchmarks with 2.8 northwoods outperforming 2.8 prescotts, but the prescott outperformed northwood in 3.0GHZ
This may be true but benchmarks fo not represent performance. Performance wize the longer pipelines are designed to work at 3.6ghz plus to the maximum extent making them sky rocket over the northwood but until then the northwood wont be beat in performance unless your comparing the 3ghz prescott to a 2.4ghz northwood.

XT said:
This may be true but benchmarks fo not represent performance. Performance wize the longer pipelines are designed to work at 3.6ghz plus to the maximum extent making them sky rocket over the northwood but until then the northwood wont be beat in performance unless your comparing the 3ghz prescott to a 2.4ghz northwood.

fo shizzle man

benchmarks are designed to test the performance of a CPU; the Prescotts are designed to be better in 3.6GHZ, but they actually do slightly beat northwoods in 3GHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom