Group Policy effecting login times

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritch86

Solid State Member
It takes a long time to log in. I believe this is the cause of group policy. Is there any way of reducing the amount of time it takes to login?

Using Windows 2003 Server & Windows XP on client machines

What kinds of group policies do you have applied?

Where are you domain controllers located in reference to the affected PCs?

Any other information that could be helpful?

All computers are affected. I am sitting outside the server room & it takes just as long as anywhere else.

There's not all that many group policies applied, I am confused as why it is taking so long to logon.

Group Policies in effect are:

shutdown script, logoff script, account policies, user rights, folder redirection, Internet Explorer Maintenance, Control Panel, desktop, microsoft office, network connections, Start menu, system, windows components, wsus

Roaming profiles are in use but users are using same computers.
The scripts are very small files.

I'm going to guess that roaming profiles is your problem. Its got to pull more data down from the server during logon.

Are roaming profiles necessary or would it be enough to map each user a "home" folder on a server?

The roaming profile would be the cause. Since after logon they have to pull the profile from the server to that machine.

So 2 options. 1.) local profile to machines. Since the users dont switch machines is it really relavant to have them on the server? 2.) do what mBerhardt said. Map out a folder to each user on the server.

thanks for your input, I do have also have users with Mapped networked drives & some without mapped or roaming & these users are complaining of long logon times.

It generally just sits on the windows dialog box: Loading personal settings & applying personal settings for about 30 seconds on each then loads up windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom