64 bit vs. 32 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, for that list when it says 32 bit and 64 bit in parenthesis does that mean it only works on what is there or that it doesn't work on that? What does it mean if it doesn't have parenthesis?

Also, there is a game coming out I am building this computer in large part for: Warhammer Online. Turns out 64 bit support is likely not going to happen. I can just run the game in compatability mode, right? There is no extra lag and all features and be used in comp. mode? For example can I run winamp and firefox while still playing the game in comp. mode?

Thank you for your answers so far.

Well it depends on where on the list you are looking. In big bold RED letters they say Works or Works but has some minor problems.

I am guessing that if it has 32/64 in parenthesis that it is for both. If ot i would think that is id only for 32 Bit. Considering it does give all this info at the top of the Wiki in bold black print. ;)

If it isnt 64 Bit compatable you migh not even be able to isntall it.

Another question if you don't mind so I don't have to make a new thread. Say I go 64 bit and have 4gb of RAM. I have 2 x 1gb already from Crucial, if I get 2 x 1gb from say Corsair but it is the same speed is it fine, or does the timing/brand have to be the same?

Edit: Ok it says on that wiki page: " Please mention the version/build number of the software and if it applies to the 32-bit and/or the 64-bit beta OS (e.g. "Software vX.XX.XXXX (32- and 64-bit)")!"

So the stuff in parenthesis only applies to the beta? Therefore if any program is listed, it applies to 64 bit correct?

timing has to be the same. brand not so much, but clock speeds have to be the same. I'm doing 64 bit with my new system, so this is helpful to me too lol... (it's still in the works tho)

No that Wiki was for the RTM version of Vista. Which is the released version. So all the software listed should work.

As stated the timing has to be the same. Brand doesnt matter. I use 2 different brands of RAM in my PC and i have yet to come across any issues with the year+ that i have been using it.

One last thing for this topic. Let's say I want to play some game coming out late next year that is amazingly powerful (Crysis is really powerful right?). Would 3GB RAM be more than enough for such a game even as that?

I haven't checked into it, but tentatively, I'd say 3 should do it. find the system requirements for it. for max performance, check the recommended requirements. if the system you are working on is geared toward that game, or you would like to at least play it when it comes out, choose from that information. I personally don't know of ANY game that requires that much ram tho, and you will probably do fine with 3GB

#5.) A 16 Bit program is just that. It is a program that was written with only 16 Bit archatechture. ^$ Bit only sees 64 and 32. So apps that are for Windows 95 wouldnt work since they are 16 Bit program.
Actually Windows 95 was the first Windows OS that was 32-bit. That's why it was such a major upgrade from the 16-bit Windows 3.11. So there hasn't really been any 16-bit stuff since the Windows 3.11 and DOS days.

Yes Windows 95 was 32 Bit but many applications up till XP's release was still 16 Bit. That is because even XP can use 16 Bit apps without a problem. It wasnt until XP X64 and Vista 64 Bit came along that they realized that 16 Bit apps dont work on 64 Bit cause they only recognize 32 Bit and 64 Bit. that is why there was a major driver problem and application problem when XP X64 was first released.

We just never realized that the apps were 16 Bit cause they worked just fine. Cause the architecture had no difficulity using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom