Computer Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillxlife

Baseband Member
I wasnt quite sure which area to post in so i just posted here...

We're trying to fix my friends computer, everytime you try to boot up it gets to windows it says somthing about finding drivers for a monitor and then it just restarts for no apparent reason....

We have tried everying, we reformatted it, messed with shit in the bios, i dont know what the hell is goin on.

Oh and it runs fine in safe mode...

Any clue how to fix this?

no no, its not the monitor cause its always worked fine before... and how would that explain it just restarting on its own?

It wouldn't be the monitor's problem, it's the OS's problem as it needs to know how to run the monitor
you do need drivers for practically every device on your system, and when you format you wipe everything including the drivers
I'm not sure how you would install new drivers if you can't get into the OS though

i know everything needs drivers, but it was doing this before we formatted it. And even if this monitor did need drivers i dont see how it would just make the whole system restart...

Its nothing to do with the monitor. Even in safe mode the monitor.inf file is used. It just doesn't load graphic exact drivers like the vid card. I dont know of any monitor that wont use a generic monitor.inf file. There ARE .inf files specific to that monitor, however unless its a plotter or touch screen or specialty graphic design it shouldn't matter. If you're able to get into safe mode, check

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]

and see if anything is listed in there. Also check the DM for any multiple listings, splats or unkown devices. May want to update the MBD chipset drivers, too.

also, disable things like APM, PXE/Netaware (installing remotely) and SATA (make IDE compat until latest SP is installed) in the bios.

Ok there are several things listed in the SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce folder, so then what? do i delete them?

Also what is "the DM"

Seeing as though it is your friends computer that is restarting unexpectedly, then I suggest chaning parts individually, starting with graphics card, then monitor, then memory... that should tell you what is wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom