Tried to fix myself, frustrated and confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grievearz

M.C. Etcher
I've been having some issues with this new build (See Sig). At first I was getting random crashes in older games but I seemed to have fixed it with some voltage increases. Now I'm having an issue where sometimes my computer won't start, it'll just loop. The LEDs will turn on and the fans will spin but before anything else starts it just shuts down and tries again in about 3 seconds. It always seems to happen with the little red LED on my 2900Pro turns on for the second time. The only way to fix it is to leave it alone for a little while or just play around with the cables. Sometimes this fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. I'm using a 4Pin ATX to 8Pin ATX converter (Newegg.com - LOGISYS AD202 12V Molex to 8pin P8 Adapter - Retail) and I thought that could be the problem so I removed it. I still got the same problems. Not only that but every time I try and play BioShock, the game freezes after a few minutes of play and I'm forced to restart, hoping my computer actually turns on again. I've tried everything I can think of.

Could this be an issue with my Power Supply? (Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail)
or my Graphics Card? (Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100212SR Radeon HD 2900PRO 512MB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail)

It seems to me that you shouldn't have had to reset any voltage settings at all for it to run right in the first place. I would try to reset the BIOS back to default and see if it clears up the problem.

At default mode I still get the restart error and BioShock locks up on me. Would the restarting be my PSU or my MoBo? BIOS is latest version. Not sure where to go from here...

It could be either the PSU or mobo. I'd take the PSU to any local computer store and have them check if it's faulty (since it's so simple some do it for free). If that is the case, obviously replace the PSU. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards a faulty motherboard. With computer rebooting in loops it has to be the PSU or mobo. It could possibly be faulty RAM, but I think that would be the 3rd option after the PSU and mobo.

Since it's late (I'm assuming you'll check this soon) you could run Memtest86 for your RAM. If it's faulty it will save you a trip to the local computer store tomorrow and/or replacing the mobo.

Yeah I agree with MNelson07 also Bioshock is known for being buggy. Although I'm playing it with no errors I've read a lot of reports about how bad it crashes.

Yeah, it's very stable on default and passes all benchmarks and tests but BioShock keeps crashing at around the same spot (Where you first find the machine gun in the Medical Pavilion) and I've tried every fix I've seen online; DX Update, Newest Drivers, C++ Distro Update, Running it in DX9, Running it Windowed... ect. and nothing will keep it from freezing my computer up.

I think I figured out the restarting problem. The power cable going to my CD drive was a little lose due to the angle of the cord and I think it was shorting it out when it tried to start. Once I pushed it in all the way and fixed the angle on the cord, I haven't been able to duplicate the restarting.

Edit:It started restarting again with no loose cables, it finally started up so I set everything back to default and ran Memtest again, my RAM failed twice. I put in a pair that I had in a second computer and they failed as well. Do I have two bad sets of ram? A bad PSU? A bad MoBo? This problem is really frustrating me.

If the ram failed with 2 different sets, I want to say it is the motherboard.

For start though. try using just one ram slot and 1 stick of ram. (dimm 1) see if it still fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom