Vid Card Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
I am going to get the 8800 Ultra. What I am wondering is are the only requirements to utilize this Vid card that I have a PCI-E slot or are their other things to consider. I am actually just upgrading my buddies Dell computer and I was thinking he could use this now and get some better performance than his 1650 card and then when I build a new system in January he already has the card at his disposal? Any thought or suggestions? Thanks.

Having a PCIe slot, and a sufficient power supply. The Rosewill that you have, is sufficient. 36A should be good enough for an Ultra and E6420.

Thanks for the quick response B1gapl. But this is for a buddy of mine who has a Dell. Is their a way I can check what power he has available? I know he does have a SLI motherboard, and it actually is the High end Dell XPS 600. I am actually going to look up the PC and see if they have the power supply info.

The power supply will probably be fine as the Dell comes with two 7800GTX cards in SLI already.

However, he would be much better off keeping the SLI setup and upgrading the motherboad and processor.

That Dell comes with a POS Pentium D...the processor is what is holding his gaming performance back, not his 3d card setup.

Okay to make it easy I checked his system and this is all dell has on it. Keep in mind he changed out his Vid card to the ATI 1650. Let me know what you think.

0 149DF INFORMATION, PREPARATION MATERIAL, DEVIATION, PRECISION WORKSTATION, INCREASE, #2
1 5120P CORD, POWER, 125V, 6FT, SPT2, UNSHIELDED
1 GC375 ASSEMBLY, CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), TRANSFORMER METROPLEX DESKTOP, XPS600
1 W8403 PROCESSOR, 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 640, SKT-T, MALE
1 N6250 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, MULTI-MEDIA, LITEON, LEAD FREE
1 C8649 KIT, MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, LEAD FREE, OPTICAL, PRIMAX ELECTRONICS LTD
4 F6761 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512, 533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
1 P9225 ASSEMBLY, DVD+/-RW, 16X, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), PHILIPS, CHASSIS 2001
1 X8555 ASSEMBLY, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 16X, HALF HEIGHT, SONY, CHASSIS 2001, LEAD FREE
2 FC097 KIT, DOCUMENTATON ON FLOPPY DISK, SOFTWARE, POWERDVD, 5.5, TRANSACTIONAL LINE OF BUSINESS
1 P7665 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, 1394, SB0358
1 CF093 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, A525, LEAD FREE, ZYLUX CORPORATION, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 K9341 CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 256, 6800, HMGA11, NV42
1 6X215 HARD DRIVE, 250G, NATIVE COMMAND QUEUEING, 7.2K, 8M, LEAD FREE, MXT-SA
1 6X215 HARD DRIVE, 250G, NATIVE COMMAND QUEUEING, 7.2K, 8M, LEAD FREE, MXT-SA
1 C6355 ASSEMBLY, CABLE, Serial ATA, TRANSFORMER SKY DIVE MINITOWER, 2.0
1 TC400 KIT, SOFTWARE, MCAF-SCTY, 6.0, COMPACT DISK DRIVE, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 CD940 KIT, SOFTWARE, WORDPERFECT, 12, PLUS-TRIAL
1 DF965 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WINDOWS XP, MCE05U, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 T6130 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 20W, DUAL VOLTAGE, 2005FPW, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION

That system will bottleneck the Ultra. It's like trying to a tow a trailer with a bicycle.

That system will bottleneck the Ultra. It's like trying to a tow a trailer with a bicycle.

seriously! I thought it came with a Pentium D 840 but it's even worse!

I'd recommend selling the entire PC and building one from scratch. It's a dinosaur

Okay thanks guys. Thats why I ask first then do second. Thanks for the help. Maybe I will convince him to still buy it and run it in my PC till he gets his system. Hehe. that will be the perk for building a PC for him. LOL.

Would it be helpful if I used my Vid card in his system? would it be an improvement over his ATI 1650? Will it even work? He wants to upgrade its just he has other priorities at this time. and wants just a bit better performance. And since that is a great deal on the Ultra at microcenter.

It will work, but there will still be a bottleneck with that P4. Just not as much, compared to having an Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom