Windows Small Business Server 2000 Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

aclaus225

Beta member
I experienced a server crash last night. In lieu of wiping out the whole hard drive I created a new installation of the server on the same hard drive. I set the server up the same, same domain and everything, but now the computers that are pointed to that domain controller do not recognize the domain. I believe most of the files from the first install are still intact, so I pretty much have two installations and am given a dual boot option for the server. Is there a way to move the users over from one installation to the other? The crashed installation is called WINNT and the fresh installation is called WINNT2. I still have the shares set up on the drive, so not everything got lost, but I was wondering if there was a way to move over the information from one management console to the other so that I do not have to recreate the users. The only way that I can get the computers to recognize the domain again is by unjoining and rejoining the domain. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

It sounds as if you didnt format the drive when you installed again. So can you still see all the info from the old install?

It sounds as if you didnt format the drive when you installed again. So can you still see all the info from the old install?

No, I did not format the drives. I see all the information from the first install. I have a dual boot option, so the second install recognizes that there is another install on the disk.

Well then you should be able to copy the files from your old install to your new isntall.

As simple as it sounds, all I had to do was unplug the users CAT-5 from their computers, log them into the Network (to get profiles saved on local machines), then plug in the CAT-5 and let Windows XP ask me for current credentials on users, requiring a lock of the computer (Ctrl, Alt, Del, then Enter to lock) and entrance of the proper credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom