Having Problems with Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubius

Baseband Member
Hello all I am having problems with Windows 2000 pro. I bought a new hard drive for my computer that has 250gb of Storage. When i installed Windows it only recoginzes 137gigs of space. How can i fix this so that i can take advantage of my entire hard drive. Thanks in advance.

This sounds like a BIOS problem. Before, i think, 2003 roughly OS's were limited in the size of the hard drive they could see. This was due to the Fat32 file system. Is that what you are using? If so then you will have to partition the drive to be able to see the full drive.

NTFS can see all sizes. Fat32 can not.

I think that service pack 4 fixes the lba limit. if you mobo is the culprit update your bios

I formatted and used the NTFS format. on the Service pack 4 is that the same one you get from Windows Update or do they have to send you a copy on cd? And when i get Service pack 4 do i have to reformat or what can i do for it to recognize all gigs. thanks in advance.

I upgraded the motherboard and processor as well, along with power supply. Its a Gigabyte p4 Titan Series motherboard, got like a 2.0 ghz processor in it. with 512 of ram.Thanks in advance

This my fathers computer by the way and i has downloaded SP 4 from the website and i doesnt seem to help. So basically my only option is to update bios correct? Thanks in advance

If the file Eric has supplied doesn't do the trick then the BIOS might be the last step. Unless Eric knows another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom