It's time for a new Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick_tech15

Daemon Poster
Hi guys, it's nice to be back after a long break from tech forums.
It's been about a year since I built my last computer so I feel like I desperately need a new one. I want it to be under 600 without keyboard/mouse, monitor, graphics card, and soundcard.

Here is what I have so far:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I will be doing a lot of video editing and rendering, so those are my priorities
I am open to any suggestions and changes
I will appreciate any help! Thanks

For video editing and rendering, get a G0 Stepping Q6600. The two cores will make a MASSIVE difference as far as that is concerned. But with that CPU, you will also need a more effective HSF- such as the Tuniq Tower 120, or thermalright ultra 120 (eXtreme)

Keep the graphics, they are just fine.

Thanks for the reply. The Q6600 is a bit pricey for me. Would it really make that much of a difference? I plan on overclocking the processor significantly.

Yes, the G0 Q6600 would make a large difference. As far as I know, video rendering and editing (along with music and video encoding) are the only applications to really make efficient use of multiple cores. Besides, the G0 stepping on the Q6600 means that it can also be heavily overclocked like the E6550, as long as you get an effective heatsink, like the ones that I mentioned before.

I'll think about about that. I also edited my post and added ram.
I need to build this soon so any help is great

The Q6600 is a good choice for sure, especially for the price being under $300. As for the RAM you should look at some Crucial Ballistix or some Patriot or something other than the OCZ, they are not bad but you can get better for the money.

if you wanna go with a dual core then scratch of the e6550.
Get the e2180 instead and get a tuniq tower with it and oc it madly...
otherwise get the q6600.

I'm kind of hesitant on the e2180. It only has 1 mb of cache so i don't know if that's enough for video rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom