Partition/Data Recovery Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexon

Beta member
It's a long story, but hear me out.

So one day, while fixing my friend's PC, I asked him to lend me his external HD to backup his files from the PC. While trying to use the external HD (all plugged in), it detected it but did not show in the My Computer section. After researching a bit on the Internet, I were to go to Computer Management and initialize the disk. And so I did, thinking it wasn't harmless or anything.

And that's where the problem kicks in.

After initializing it, and heading to the drive, it asks me to format the HD. Apparently, my friend said that his sister's files (portfolios...) are in the HD so we tried plugging back in her sister's Mac laptop and it did not initialize the HD properly. Tried to repair and failed. I began to panic, so I rushed back home to find any solution into getting the data back.

I've tried a few data recovery programs, and some of them did the trick. HOWEVER, certain files are found corrupted (ex. .avi, .mp4, .mov files not opening properly), some .jpeg files contain grey/green areas, distorted images (corrupted?), and so forth. Is there any chance I can fix these files or is it impossible to fix it? The data recovery programs tell me it's the hard drive's problem (bad sectors, etc.), so is it possible to undo the 'initializing' I did from the very beginning? Should I use some programs to recover the bad sectors and try using the data recovery program again?

I feel really bad for my friend's sister, since she literally cried all night long, and it was all my fault. Everything in that hard drive is extremely important for her.

Please reply ASAP.

- Nex

you should have use erd commander 2005. I have use recovery programs that had a history of corrupting data. erd never failed me

Thanks for your reply, Eric.

While googling for info on Winternal's ERD Commander 2005, I realized that it's not Vista-compatible. Unfortunately, my computer's running on Vista so I'm afraid ERD Commander 2005 might not be compatible with it.

Looking at the GUI of ERD Commander 2005, things might get a bit complex. Usually the recovery softwares I used are pretty straightforward, but I don't know about this one. Might give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom