Athlon 64 Or INtel P4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinG

Baseband Member
Hey

I am looking to build a new system for purely gaming. But i am not sure which processor to base my system on....Athlon 64 Or INtel P4 ? Also i know that in the future that 64 bit programs will be out, but im not sure how much % of programs will need 64bit. Also i need this system to last 3 years 4 max.

Thanks
KevinG

The new AMD Athlon 64-bit CPU is proven to be by far the best for gaming.

chart_3dmark.gif

chart_3dmark_cpu.gif

chart_comanche.gif

chart_ut.gif

Definately go AMD64. You get way more processor for the money. The only Intel processor that I would recommend for gaming is the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, but its so expensice its not even worth getting.

go for intel. just look at the benchmarks, a 3.4 ghz p4 beats most of the amds in a comparable price range, and you can overclock pentiums when you cant overclock amds. imagine how much better the p4 will be with overclocking compared to the amds

knuckle50 said:
go for intel. just look at the benchmarks, a 3.4 ghz p4 beats most of the amds in a comparable price range, and you can overclock pentiums when you cant overclock amds. imagine how much better the p4 will be with overclocking compared to the amds

I thought it was the other way around. Intel chipset does not allow you to overclock very well. (correct me if i am wrong)

And yes, AMD can overclock, you just won't get alot from it.

exactly wartorment. youll be able to get 3.4 ghz+++ on stock cooling with a 3 ghz p4, which will outperform any amd with a comparable price. invest in a sick cooling system like an sp-94 heasink and your computer will be faster than any amd.

Wartorment said:
WQ, you are wrong, check my sig.

Yes, when i said that, i thought of you too. Why is everyone saying intel chipset cannot allow them to overclock.

Edit: That was for the newer LGA 775, nevermind.

knuckle50 said:

sorry

P4 3.4c=425$ (newegg)

AMD 64 3200+=282$ (newegg)

and wait...which one is higher on the charts?

and if you want to compare ~ same priced AMD vs. Intel

P4 3.4C=425

AMD 64 3400+=410 (still 15 dollars less)

and the 3400 scores similar in synthetic benchmarks, but crushes it in the gaming tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom