do i need reinstall xp windown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliman

Baseband Member
i am going to replace new mainboard ,cpu and memory .so do i need to reinstall windown xp after replacement?

XP will recognize the new hardware and will continue to work. However, you may run into some small problems, as Windows tends to screw itself up after a while. I recommend doing a fresh install unless you're short on time.

sh...alot of files i do not want to lost still on old drive with new hardwares,averything ready to power up.the problem is xp key on old drive.any idea please.

Boot it up and see how it works. There's a good chance that you'll be able to continue running on your current install just fine. Keep in mind, however, that if you find that you constantly get errors and BSODs, it's probably time to do a reinstall.

One way you can go about saving your old files, is to run the xp disc and partition some space from your main hard drive, or use partition magic to partition your existing 'old drive'. Move your files from the old drive into a partition, take your time to back them on disc for sure(data dvd using nero works too) and I think there is a way to find your CD key through windows registry?
Aside from that, I can't think of anything to retrieve a lost CD-Key, most people will tell you to buy another OEM disc which is what, roughly 100?
In the future it'd be wise to invest in a 320 external drive.But the smart or practical thing to do with any large hardware upgrade(cpu or a mobo) is to reinstall windows.there are a decent amount of bios differences and drivers from your old mobo on your hard drive that it'd be a pain to go through again and again.

can i do thi:install new HD with new hardware then install copy of XP pro when everything is ok then add the old HD on it.sound ok?

Yes. Install the new HD, install Windows and your programs on it, then add the old HD as a slave. The programs on the old drive won't work, but all the data will be accessible.

thanks so much.i power up system with the old HD and boot to xp cd do the setup windown xp,then do the repair windown xp.everything is ok and all files still working good.tahnks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom