Dynamic Disk Unreadable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesviper

Solid State Member
Hey,

I got all of my computer problems fixed and my new computer is excellent. The only thing I'd like to change is I'd like some orange LED fans rather than the blue LED fans I picked up for $4.99.

My old computer had an add-on drive that I kept as a "Dynamic Drive". Now that it's in a new computer, it is "Dynamic - Unreadable".

I tried editing the registry like the Microsoft website says, so all three values are as recommended, but it still says the drive is unreadable. Was I supposed to format it if I wanted to bring it from computer to computer? It had close to 300GB of movies that I've ripped over about two years...literally hundreds of them...I put thousands of hours into that project and it would suck if it was erased because I didn't backup / format the drive [which I really, really should've done].

Charles

If a mod could move this to the hardware troubleshooting forum, I'd appreciate it. I thought I posted it there...

Well, ****.

I tried creating a dual boot between XP and Vista. I got an error message that said,

"The installation was not successful
Changes made during the installation are being undone

Do not restart your computer during this time"

The first time this appeared it said "Vista cannot find the Hard Disks" or something to that effect.

Then the computer restarts. I cannot rollback to the XP install, hitting "Tab", the arrows etc doesn't do anything. I can't spend another couple of hours setting everything up, I literally just did that five hours ago.

What can I do?!?!

Please help!

Ah, some additional information.

I inserted the Vista Ultimate CD and selected "Custom" installation on an XP Professional SP2 computer. I selected my old XP partition, 20GB [I've got a new HD with XP on it]. I checked the Vista Upgrade wizard, no problems. I also checked for updates before I installed. Everything went smoothly but then it got to this step and just keeps restarting.

ARGH! I see what the problem is. I don't know what caused it or how to fix it, but the partition where I installed Vista is now just BLANK, yet XP is still in the "Vista's Installing" mode. It's stuck in a loop...how do I fix this?

I've got the XP disc with the "Repair" function. Anyone got any tips for using that tool to remedy this problem? Right now I'm just getting the BIOS, a "Windows Boot Manager" that goes by too quickly for me to make a selection, then the Vista GUI w/ "Microsoft Corporation", then it goes to the wallpaper for about a second, flashes " ...installation not successful", sits for about ten seconds, then the computer restarts.

I really need someone's help on this. This is painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom